The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is Life?

What is Life?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 32
  9. 33
  10. 34
  11. All
To Opinion.

It was clear in the other discussion OzSpen wanted to continue on the topic he started that was barely discussed.

If you wanted the topic to continue in a respectful manner, you could have started the topic yourself with the phrasing and conditions you wanted presented for the topic.

As for me, I made life it's own didpscusdion, and added a second question to it. My reasoning (not that you want to know) is because of another few articles that go on the dance of being fed up with Covid madness, even to say that it is leading to higher suicide rates.

I don't know if that article had any studies or accurate infor to base that on, but regardless, I included the second question here for the reason of encouragement in the state of the world.

If you don't like it, once again, you could have started this topic on your own terms earlier. Deal with it.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 10:06:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Chris Lewis,

Looks like you've got a good chunk to consider on Life. But let's make it simplier. At least for now. How life began first assumes an answer of what life is.

For instance, is having a consciousness what it means to have life? If so what does that mean for those in a coma, or potentially unconscious for long periods of time. Is the earth alive? Or the sun alive? Depending on a person's view of what it means to be alive. It might be a textbook definition of the criteria for being alive (organic) versus being a non living substance (inorganic). On the other hand life could be a simple statement of not being dead, or a statement of having a soul, and having an awareness around you. Or something else entirely.

Just some thoughts to see if I can get your thought on what life means, or what it means to be alive.

As to the second question. What makes life worth living. Three things pop into mind. My wife, my cats, and God. The first two because during this time my wife and my cats are who I see everyday and keep me going. And the third, God has been there several times in my life to make it worth living. Guess I don't have a purpose greater then that then for what keeps me going, but if you know of a purpose in life for yourself. Then good on you.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 10:32:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Life is when you're not dead."

I like that Individual. Simple and streight to the point.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 10:33:16 AM
For my first three decades, gave little thought about what made life worth living.

As a kid, just tried to make friends and fit in somehow. Ended up being class idiot in High School and wasted my school work years.

As a young adult, just worked in a factory, and lived for sports training, horse gambling, and having sex.

I was always a thinker though, and was interested in current affairs.

But in real terms, I had no purpose at all beyond my own gratification. I did not save, and lived for the day. Probably used a lot of people, although I was not conscious I was doing so until I was older.

I do not remember thinking about the purpose of life until my mid-30s. I just lived and survived with little support from anyone.

Longstanding Girlfriends and university study from my early 30s changed my life though.

As I have got older, I find I do think more the purpose of life.

I often wake up and remind myself you can lose your desire to live if you don't have a purpose.

So, now life is still simple, but different. I recognise I have failed to do much more to help others, something I would like to rectify more.

But, I still train hard at sport for masters competitions, albeit constantly dealing with injuries; I still gamble on the weekends, albeit, I don't risk my middle class wealth which I have built up with my mrs for the last 18 years; I write sport and politics articles, and love watching and listening to sport, movies, music and current affairs.

And, of course, bringing up my 11 year old daughter in her important high school years, is a major life aim. So far she is kicking goals, winning a part-scholarship to a Anglican school.

So life to me is about keeping busy with whatever legitimate purposes that turn you on, and trying to make a positive contribution to those you seek to interact with.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 10:34:47 AM
What is life? What is the meaning of life? I think just about everyone would have asked themselves the question, particularly when they are in their cups. What I KNOW , not just think, is that nobody has come up with answer, and nobody ever will. Except for individual, who states the obvious:).
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 10:38:45 AM
Individual,

I don't remember being oppressed by anyone.

All I remember, when young, was having life choice and picking bad ones.

In Australia, we are hardly oppressed.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 10:49:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 32
  9. 33
  10. 34
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy