The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is Life?

What is Life?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 32
  8. 33
  9. 34
  10. All
In a conversation The other day someone brought up the topic of the difference between world views regarding science and religion. But the topic to break the ice between the two world views I think goes beyond just those two foundations.

So here is the question for anyone interested. Plus a follow up question, because I think it's needed to be asked to encourage us and keep us going.

By your views or discription what is life? And what makes it worth living? (Or has made it worth living)?
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 1:31:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not_Now.Soon,

It was me! It was me!

I can see what you are doing. You are trying to take the heat off OzSpen.

The question was directed to OzSpen and I invited him to debate the topic of LIFE.

And you have twisted the topic to make it look as if the topic is LIFE as a lived in experience instead of LIFE the biological entity.

So for anybody interested in putting forward a scientific or religious view of LIFE it is the biological LIFE under discussion, not the lived in experience LIFE because the latter is just a ploy by Not_Now.Soon to recruit converts to his religious agenda.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 9:37:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PS I will start by repeating what I said the OzSpen: I see LIFE as a water-based feeder.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 9:41:55 AM
Mr Opinion: "I see LIFE as a water-based feeder."

What is that meant to mean? Perhaps you could expand on this a bit so that simpletons like me could understand it.
Posted by thinkabit, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 9:49:13 AM
Life is when you're not dead !
The meaning of life depends on your social status & the degree of freedom your oppressors afford you !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 9:53:37 AM
Interesting question, What is Life.

For myself, I can't possibly explain it with any certainty. I tend to just go with the flow and don't waste my limited brain cells of unanswerable questions that philosopher types may flog themselves over.

But briefly, while I note the study of the evolution of our planet and life, it still leaves the question about how life started .

According to the religions, which I neither believe or rule out, they have offered some explanation and an effort to define our purpose.

Having said that I am only familiar with the Bible and New Testament, and am hardly that well versed. Pretty simple book really, as would be the case written so long ago.

What I do believe, given that life exists and its various life forms seek to prosper/survive from mammals to viruses, is that we humans have prime responsibility/ability to ensure that the balance stays right in terms of getting economic, social and environmental balance right.

While we operate as self-interested individuals (my belief), our life form can and will cooperate when it is in our interest to do so. The cavemen realised pretty early that cooperation was needed to hunt and survive.

And God, or any other unproven entity or claim, will have very little to do with our chances of success on very complex life issues, besides offering a nice message in terms of reminding us to be nice and help one another
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 19 May 2020 10:00:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 32
  8. 33
  9. 34
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy