The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Prime Minister and doctors attack on Australians and their civil liberties

A Prime Minister and doctors attack on Australians and their civil liberties

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. 17
  14. 18
  15. All
The Prime Ministers recent announcement about non-essential travel is appalling. Who is to decide what is non-essential and what isn't? Many people I've spoken to are confused about what they are going to be able to do.

I've even had some political party leaders state whole states and territories should be isolated and cut off from others entering (except medical workers), why only these people?

One has to also take into consider the health implications of self isolation. Vitamin D requirements are very important for one's health, so people should be outside for at least 10 minutes per day, so any suggestion of non-essential travel, say walking in a park poses a danger to some. I know as I'm not very old (under 40) and I have Osteoporosis.

People should move freely. If all people are doing for example is shopping and cramming themselves into supermarkets, workplaces and schools, I don't see how this stops the spread of a virus. The better option is to in some ways encourage people to spread out, even if one was to go to central Australia for example and rest for a few weeks.

In terms of non-essential travel, I would also suggest that any use of Parliament House in Canberra is stopped immediately as many would consider that non-essential at present or as a principle but is the Prime Minister up to the challenge?
Posted by NathanJ, Sunday, 22 March 2020 2:57:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The answer to Nathan's question is easy. Note State of Emergency is in effect.
Such a decision as he presents will be decided by the Emergency Management
Committee or one of the expert organisations involved.
The police or other person querying the subjects travel etc will have
a radio or phone and will get instructions.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 22 March 2020 3:29:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nathan, you don’t have to walk in a park to get sunshine, you can stand outside your house, or on a patio, or a driveway etc for ten minutes. It’s easy to understand what is essential. Health workers, medical supplies, food, fuel. Power and water. And perhaps freight trucks.
Going to visit your sick granny is not essential. It may be very desirable, desperately wanted but not essential. We are all going to have to closely examine our priorities in this situation that is totally novel to all of us. My mother grew up in the Great Depression of the 30s and I was raised on stories of hardship and sacrifices made then.
These days, with all the IT we have, life will be so much easier because at least we can keep in touch with family via phone, FB, FaceTime etc.
Posted by Big Nana, Sunday, 22 March 2020 3:36:35 PM
"Many people I've spoken to are confused about what they are going to be able to do." (Nathan)

They would be even more confused after Nathan got to them, if he carried on with the same naive twaddle as he is here. Nobody is stopping anyone from going outside. You can walk or sit in the sun if you wish. You can see people; greet them, even have a conversation, from the prescribed distance. Even in the NSW regime, where the premier is considering closing all non-essential services, you will still be able to buy food, collect your prescriptions and receive deliveries.

Get a grip, man, before you drive yourself around the twist.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 22 March 2020 4:34:19 PM
The China virus is in Africa and South America.
ttbn,
Yes, I looked up the COVID-19 World map. I suppose I should have been more clear with my statement. What I sort of meant was that these continents didn't appear to get mentioned in the News until very recently.
I find it incredulous that people are so disregarding & dismissive of the risk they pose to others.
Were we to have a National Service, this poor kind of mentality would surely dissipate par a handful of inevitable gits !
Like this bloke who told me last week "If I get that Virus, I'll spread it as much as I can".
Could just be withdrawal symptoms from no Footy last week !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 22 March 2020 5:20:14 PM
Meanwhile, the Catholic Church in Sydney has this to say:

"Directions for the Archdiocese of Sydney
from 18 March 2020 until further notice

With respect to the Celebration of Mass and other Liturgies
Many people are already self-selecting to stay at home and attendance at many Masses will
predictably be under 100. But for the sake of caution during this time of pandemic and on the advice of the Bishops Conference, the following directions will be observed in the
Archdiocese of Sydney... "
http://www.sydneycatholic.org/casys/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Directions-for-the-Archdiocese-of-Sydney-COVID19-180320.pdf
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 22 March 2020 8:16:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16