The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > You deserve to be congratulated: we're not overdoing democracy

You deserve to be congratulated: we're not overdoing democracy

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. 13
  14. 14
  15. 15
  16. All
Dear Foxy,

Reading books is how we learn. It especially allows people to teach themselves.

Most people don't like reading because it takes effort and concentration plus skills in comprehension. These are the people who don't do humanities because they cannot get through the enormous reading load required for an Arts degree.

Unfortunately a lot of these people get some knowledge through media like Google, documentaries, etc., and they think they know a lot. I won't mention any names.

And then there are the ones who make out they are Arts grads - nudge nudge wink wink know who I mean.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 9 November 2019 11:53:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Josephus,

I would be too embarrassed to admit if I did not read books but kudos to you for having the guts to come out about it. And at least you don't go around pretending to be an Arts grad - nudge nudge wink wink know who I mean.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 9 November 2019 12:44:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Mr Opinion,

People don't read for a variety of reasons.
Whether its because they don't have the time,
that books are expensive, that they don't make
the right selections, or they prefer to watch
movies instead. The list of why they don't is
long. Some people just never get into the habit.

It's a personal choice. I've always encouraged my
children and grand-children to read. And I found
that it is important to try to instill this habit
in them from an earlier age. Plus, picking the right
books for them has also been important to get them
interested. As have visits to libraries.

Anyway, I hesitate in passing judgements on others
regarding reading habits. Since more people do lead such
busy lives nowadays - often full-time employment has
left them little time for reading. So we do need to
understand people's habits in the context of their
social lives as well.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 9 November 2019 12:57:52 PM
Dear Foxy,

Problem is some of them end up on The Forum pretending to be Arts grads - nudge nudge wink wink know who I mean.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 9 November 2019 1:21:46 PM
Dear Mr Opinion,

Numerous studies have shown that there is little or
no relationship between educational achievement
and job performance or productivity.

The fact is that a degree does not necessarily give
you the skills required to be productive.
Most people pick up the necessary skills on the job
and not in the classroom. Especially as far as an Arts
degree is concerned - its only the first step in one's
education and training. People who graduate with an
Arts degree actually work in fields they consider
unrelated to their major subjects.

Few people make a fuss these days over an Arts degree.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 9 November 2019 2:29:10 PM
Dear Foxy,

An Arts degree is not a vocational degree qualifying for a job. It is a scholarly degree for those who want to study the humanities.

I did an engineering degree for a prospective employer but my three Arts degrees I did for myself, in fields that I had a particular fascination with and wanted to pursue throughout my life.

The people I run across who do not place importance on an Arts degree are those who do not have one themselves. That's alright with me as long as they can accept that I see them as basically ignorant people.

At least I don't go around pretending to have an Arts degree or pretend to have knowledge in the humanities, which is not what I can say for the greater number of people on The Forum - nudge nudge wink wink know who I mean in particular. Shame on those people who pretend to be something they're not, as well as criticising subject areas they have no qualifications in just because they want to be something other than what they really are.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 9 November 2019 4:11:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12