The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > You deserve to be congratulated: we're not overdoing democracy

You deserve to be congratulated: we're not overdoing democracy

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. All
"mhaze stated that I am wrong about Athenian democracy so I simply responded by showing that I have formal training in ancient history to support my position."

Well, anyone even vaguely familiar with the facts would, rather than relying on fictitious credentials, offer up facts to "support my position."

But you didn't offer even a passing attempt to offer any supporting data. Not even a passing attempt.

Foxy is way to kind. We all know that Mr O is simply conjuring up these degrees as an alternative to actual factual argument.

I'm very protective of my privacy and therefore don't put out too much identifying information. But just this once.... I have two years at Sydney Uni studying 5th century BC Greece and one year learning, or trying to learn (sigh!), the ancient Greek language.

What Mr O said about Athenian democracy is simply, utterly wrong but the type of things some people get from uninformed pop culture. At the very least, the very least, for what he said to be true, he'd need to explain how it was that Perikles was able to lead Athens for 3 decades, not to mention extend terms for Thermistokles, Kleon, Nikias and Thrasybulus and many others.

BTW I'm done with Mr O. He's a fool and not worth my attention.
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 11 November 2019 7:46:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's that old saying about - the more you learn
the more you realise how little you know. Or words
to that affect.

There's always something we can learn from each other.
And I'm still finding that after all these many years
on the forum - people can still surprise me. I've
gotten so many pre-judgements that I've made so very
wrong. Also - giving people some lee way often helps.
After all this is only an opinion forum and we often
tend to only see things from our own point of view.
But that's all right. As long as we're not too dogmatic.
Otherwise then it's a total breakdown of communication.

I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching here. Merely
blabbering out a few thoughts. Bear with me. As it's
been pointed out to me so many times - I don't always
get things right. But on the other side of the coin -
how boring would that be - if I was to do it all the time.

Enjoy your day folks - and lets all remember to be kind
to each other. None of us are perfect.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 11 November 2019 8:20:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kaliméra mhaze,

"I have two years at Sydney Uni studying 5th century BC Greece and one year learning, or trying to learn (sigh!), the ancient Greek language"

Gee, mhaze just what we are looking for! How are you at doing souvlaki's? Greek language you say, wow... there's an opening at our Marrickville store joining Con and Sadie! Go Pan-Hellenic, that's what I say!
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 11 November 2019 8:51:43 AM
Dear Paul,

You really are having fun aren't you?

Well it's great to tease - however, learning
foreign languages is not easy neither is
studying ancient history. I can still recall
In English Lit. when we were given an assignment
on the epic poem "Beowulf." Written in Old
English - it was quite a challenge to decipher.
Thank Goodness for the help of student notes.

Also, my regret to this day is that I let my knowledge
of the Russian language slide. I used to speak it fluently
as a child (Gran was Russian)
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 11 November 2019 9:04:25 AM
Speaking ancient Greek is as much help in modern Athens as speaking Latin is in modern Rome.

But I can, at a pinch, read things like Thukydides in the original.
And since I on learned with reference to Xenophon's Anabasis I'm extremely conversant with that heroic tale.

It helps me understand the nuance many historians argue over as regards the ancient sources.
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 11 November 2019 4:43:42 PM
Paul,
I had a great belly laugh at your and friends degrees, was not sure I was laughing or crying!

I have no degrees, left school at fifteen, but spent one year translating the book of Mark in Classical Greek to English as a part of Curriculum. Several years ago wrote a 240 page commentary on a 600 BC? paleo Hebrew text containing over 100 Ammonite words. I wrote it because the English commentaries I was reading failed to understand the message. The English had been translated from a Classical Greek translation and . You learn how too with available resources.
Posted by Josephus, Monday, 11 November 2019 9:05:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy