The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Wage Theft Systemic in Australia?

Is Wage Theft Systemic in Australia?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Hey Paul1405,

"The right of the union to scrutinise wage payments was limited by Fair Work some years back at the behest of employers. I wonder why!"

I'd assume if your were large company like Woolies or Bunnings it might be costly and inconvenient for a union to have unfettered access to the companies up-to-date employee payroll.
Might also be a little bit intrusive to also have access to the names of all staff even ones who aren't in the union.

I suppose it also comes down to the 'manslaughter v's murder thing';
'incompetence / accidental v's actual intent'.

The question there is whether or not there was either actual intent to rort the employees, or intent to try to cover said rorting up.

In any case when I see stuff like this it just emphasises poor policies all around.
If you try to point the finger at one person they'll probably just point the finger at someone else, and you'll have a room full of idiots all pointing at each other saying 'it wasn't my fault'.

It's 'incompetence'.
Eventually someone's gotta say enough is enough and actually create a simple foolproof policy that works for everyone.

I don't see why it need be so hard to create some kind of foolproof system that ensures people are paid fairly, if that is what is actually wanted.

BTW, I worked for Coles pushing trolleys, packing groceries and also checkouts in my first job and was a SDA union member;
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 2 November 2019 1:25:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Belly,
"That spam is actually an invitation to get involved in online crime
AC no doubt, but for some not near all, the site would improve with some moderation."

I already reported the spam yesterday.
I'll show you something.

First, go here
http://who.is

Then type in his domain details which will bring you to this page.
http://who.is/whois/buyeurodocumentsonline.com

What you'll see there, firstly under 'Registrar Data' is that the owner of the site has 'privacy' enabled.
That's the reason most of the information about the site owner is redacted.

But what we can also see is that under Name Server;
The server hosting the site firstly is 'cloudflare', and it also shows the servers IP address.

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/blog/2011/03/24/nameservers-important/

Now, what you need to know is that it's one thing to post this spam crap from your own server, but another thing entirely to do it from a paid hosting service.

Legitimate hosting companies won't want to be associated with hosting websites that are either doing or promoting illegal activities.

So next we go here:
http://www.cloudflare.com/abuse/form

Now I already did this yesterday, but I can tell you that it won't allow you to submit the form without checking that the URL your complaining about in the 'infringing URL' is one of their sites hosted.

Moral to the story is I already notified cloudflare that one of their hosted sites is being spamed onto our forum and promoting criminal activity.
There's no guarantee they will warn him or block his site, but they might contact him and warn him if what he's doing is against their own policy.

I probably shouldn't have done so myself but instead emailed our site owner and let him know what I thought he should do.

That's pretty much all you can do, but you don't want to be too malicious, as he could also act maliciously against the forum.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 2 November 2019 2:06:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn, were you a member of the Credit Union. I note your throwaway line... "I have been a union member; indeed, I was an elected rep at one stage." Of course you were, a regular Norm Gallagher!

Saying you are showing your ignorance is not name calling, but referring to someone as a mouth-almighty ignoramus certainly is, but I'll take that as a complement coming from you.

AC, I have only moderate respect for the soft right wing union the SDA, could do a lot more for members than give them the 'Bonus Book' of special offers, you know, the discounted movie tickets etc. Back in the day that was a joke in Union circles, the Shop Union wont save your job, but they'll give you a half priced ticket to the 'flicks' to watch John Wayne in action if you join up. I suppose they are not as bad as all that, but I would like them to be a bit more pro active, particularly for junior members. Also find some of these right wing union officials are a bit too cosy with employers at times, a bit dismissive of members concerns, not like the good old CFMEU, for me it was Laurie Carmichael and the AMWSU. I never had much to do with the retail union, more to contend with Belly's AWU and the ETU. We always found those two hard to get on side in disputes, but they would eventually come around. The BLF (CFMEU) they were even too much for us radicals, Like Laurie Carmichael, John Halfpenny was a decent Commo, as to was Jack Mundey from the NSW branch of the BLF, but Victoria's BLF head Big Norm Gallagher, well, no one in NSW could tolerate the grub, always wanting to stick his nose in where it was not wanted. BTW, I have mellowed quite a bit since those days.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 2 November 2019 3:17:25 PM
AC mate frankly you are far out in front of me with PC skills GY has a life and will [if he has not yet] remove that I too marked it and reported
Paul, let's face it I understand AWU, stands for [in some minds] Australia's Weakest Union
Some bosses came to us for protection from the thugs and mugs
More pleasing their members outside cities did too
I am at war, with my own party's very left,[no huge number] who want the policy that keeps us in opposition until we die
Wage theft is not defensible to real people
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 2 November 2019 4:05:39 PM
Hey Paul1405,
When I said I was in the SDA in my first job at Coles, I wasn't in any way trying to get you to show the union respect.
Everyone had to be in the union, we had no choice.
I worked at Coles from age 15 for maybe about 2 years until after I saved and bought my first car, then I delivered pizzas for Silvio's as a second job, and eventually left Coles and went on to do factory work.

I forgot all about the cheap movie tickets etc that union membership gave an entitlement to.
I remember the days working with the checkout girls fondly.
It was almost like one big family, and a good first job.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 2 November 2019 7:06:55 PM
ACC Paul not everything a union does is wrong
While on a worksite [construction] a man got a call his wife was badly hurt
She was near death in a car accident
She was very ill for a long time
I started a fund to help, kicked it off with my own football memorabilia
Boss too helped and every official in my branch kicked in 200 dollars,we bought a fridge to raffle
Ended with a charity day attended by football heros, we got very near forty thousand dollars
And a member for life
He was not my member
Left the thugs and mugs on returning to work joined us
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 3 November 2019 4:42:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All