The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Roundabouts in NSW

Roundabouts in NSW

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Yestermorn I approached a roundabout, slowed down, checked that the intersecting roads to my right and left were clear and entered the roundabout.
Fortunately, I have good reaction time because a small car came barrelling around the centre island from straight ahead.

I did an emergency brake application and he passed in front of me with no contact, gave me a cheery wave and drove off, accelerating.

I didn't see him as the island is covered in vegetation thus blocking any forward view.
I remembered reading that one must give way to vehicles in a roundabout, so I looked it up:

"Road Rules 2014
Current version for 8 September 2018 to date (accessed 15 December 2018 at 14:50)
Part 9 Rule 114
114 Giving way when entering or driving in a roundabout
(1) A driver entering a roundabout must give way to:
(a) any vehicle in the roundabout, and
(b) a tram that is entering or approaching the roundabout.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units."

So, I'd like to know how one is to apply the rules when the view of the roundabout is obstructed by landscaping that blocks the view?
One wonders if all roundabouts that have gardens on the island that obstruct the view are illegal.

Thoughts?
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 15 December 2018 2:17:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The council is responsible for not blocking visibility that is critical for road safety.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 17 December 2018 11:05:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It gets worse here in Queensland Is Mise.

Up here some fool planner has developed the idea it is safer if you can't see what other traffic is doing. They are actually building artificial mounds in the middle of new roundabouts so you can't see what may be coming into it from the opposite direction.

I can only assume some idiot planner, [ever found one that wasn't an idiot], thinks that if we are worried that we will suffer what happened to you will happen to us, we will all slow down. I am quite sure that one of the qualifications for road planning is they have never held a drivers licence, or driven anything other than a push bike.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 17 December 2018 11:13:26 AM
Yes you have it right just today my driving stopped two idiots from smashes
Anyone else notice some female drivers think only men need good manners?
Both of today's drivers are young women pushing in at speed taking it for granted while out side the road rule I would give way
Posted by Belly, Monday, 17 December 2018 11:23:32 AM
Hey Belly,
They should make everyone learn to ride a motorbike before they drive a car so they understand how dangerous the road is.
Then they should make them learn to drive a truck so they know how hard it is to stop if you're carrying heavy loads.
And then they should make them go to Attitudinal Drivers Workshops to see the real harm road accidents can cause.

Rainforest roundabouts and the resulting reduced vision can only increase the likeliness of accidents.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 17 December 2018 12:30:50 PM
Armchair critic agree, been a long time from my last interstate truck driving days but if only
Not in any way anti woman love the lady,s
But are we doing them any favors in insisting we have good manners
Coming of the escalator, fully loaded trolly woman stepped in front of me, belt kept going and was held up by the bloke behind me, who informed her she was rude
Not saying she was in any way human after her words, needs to get ride of about one hundred kgs
Unsure if some women want equality or total control
Posted by Belly, Monday, 17 December 2018 4:48:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy