The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bring Back Peter Costello!

Bring Back Peter Costello!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I read an interesting opinion piece in the Sydney
Morning Herald written in April 2018 - "Could
Costello save the Coalition in 2019?"

The article is worth a read and points out some
interesting issues such as the fact that Turnbull's
position on social issues are often derided by
Conservatives as being "trendy." Whereas Costello's
are respected because they derive from the same set
of classical values that made him an advocate for
small government.

The opinion piece then asks "Would these positive
feelings be reproduced in the electorate at large?
It's hard to say - but certainly a Costello Government
would benefit from any undercurrent of nostalgia for
the days when politics was run by grownups."

What is valid is the point being made that the PMs
position seems to rely to a large extent on the absence
of a plausible replacement. We're told that would change
instantly if Peter Costello made himself available.
And if anybody can reunite Conservatives in Australia and make
them election ready, it is Costello.

After all - he would still be remembered as the Treasurer
who delivered 10 surpluses and eliminated net debt.

Your opinions please.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 5 August 2018 11:48:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry the man is my nightmare, he after the fairfax merger, is to be in change of nine,this very day free to air TV gained Sky News, the death of honest journalism is for me a truth we can no longer avoid,we had the economy rolling under him, the huge export of minerals helped give him that, but I want to live in a country that has concerns for those in true need affordable housing both rental and buying not negative gearing for investors,an end to bashing welfare recipients and cuts to health education my list is long
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 5 August 2018 1:59:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

I think that Peter Costello would be a more acceptable
leader for the Conservative side of politics. He
unlike Turnbull will be more able to enunciate the values
that define them. the values of the Liberal Party -
like individual dignity, self-reliance, national sovereignty,
personal liberty - are all highly relevant. And these values
resonate with those party members. I'm sure that there is
an eager audience ready to listen to a man who will have
the courage to address their concerns.

Also I think that Costello can communicate the values that
motivate a party's political approach to the issues of the
day, and convince voters this will improve their lot and
improve the fortunes of those they care about. Costello is
in a better position to do that than Turnbull. Who many
Conservatives find far too "trendy."

But of course, I could be wrong.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 5 August 2018 2:19:56 PM
Yes Foxy, Costello was the logical progression, & would have done a great job, but he probably decided he was not interested in spending 6 or 9 years in opposition for Labor to be in power when Rudd was elected. Obviously no one knew what a shambles Labor were going to make of the job. He probably would have beaten Gillard.

He is probably earning far too much money now to be prepared to come back, & I am not sure he would want to lead the bunch Turnbull has now got in the senior positions.

An interesting thought, & probably about the only one who could sort out the current mess, but I doubt we could lure him back.

Howards 2 big mistakes, our gun laws, & not passing the leaders baton to Costello when he should have.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 5 August 2018 2:25:02 PM
Dear Hassie,

Well, I guess we will have to wait and see.
If we can think of Peter Costello - surely
some of his party members could at least make
him the offer? I don't see any other plausible
replacement.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 5 August 2018 3:23:34 PM
Dear Foxy,

«the values of the Liberal Party - like individual dignity, self-reliance, national sovereignty, personal liberty - are all highly relevant.»

Wow, then he gets three out of four from me!

You seem to have good connections with this Peter and you say that he stands for personal liberty - can you please ask him whether this is true, whether indeed, if elected, he would allow me to ride a bicycle without having to wear a pot over my head?

Also, whether he will allow Australians to take up a TRULY PRIVATE health insurance cover, as agreed between individuals and their health-insurers without involving Medicare in any way?

Will he allow people to practice a profession without having to obtain a state-approved accreditation (when obviously not falsely claiming to have one), so then it is only a private matter between client and practitioner whether various services are provided?

Sounds too good to be true, but do find out please - he could even get my vote...
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 5 August 2018 5:01:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy