The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A thoroughly inglorious day for our nation

A thoroughly inglorious day for our nation

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
Aidan,

I'll leave it to others to correct you!!
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 20 May 2018 3:21:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not an "apologist" for Islam. Or any religious
extremists. I simply do not slag
off at all followers of any religious group.
Extremists exist in all religious groups.

As for Israel?

How can a supposed democratic state
maintain a brutal occupation over another people for so many
decades. This makes reconciliation next to impossible.

We must move past using dehumanisation and deligitimisation
as weapons to be wielded against the Palestinians.

Don't get me wrong - I support the rights of Israelis to live
in peace and security, but not at the expense of the
Palestinians.

Why do we constantly hear about Israel's need
for "security", as though that justifies erecting walls,
checkpoints and barriers, and the occupation of Palestinian
territories and land. Why is the world told to believe that
the Palestinians should only accept peace on Israel's terms?

I am beginning to come to the realisation that many in the
West simply don't like Arabs or Palestinians very much
and therefore believe that the Israelis have the right to
treat them as they wish.

As for my critique of the current Government's stand on this
issue. Mr Turnbull appears to have little choice in the
matter. An election is not far away. The Zionist lobby is
very strong not only globally but particularly in this country
and the US.

Australia seems to follow the US in their belief
that the US will come to our aid if Asia becomes a threat to
our security. However in this case I find it disturbing that
our government's leadership is at the mercy of the US, the Conservatives within their party,
and the Zionist lobby.

I would have thought that an objective investigation into the
conflict in Gaza would have presented views and causes
from all sides -
and would have helped towards better understanding of the
conflict.

It appears that the Government is not concerned in
resolving this issue. And that just may lead to their
eventual downfall.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 20 May 2018 3:24:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

The Palestinians were attacking Israel and some of them were using lethal weapons (as shewn on TV footage) so a few got killed doing what they wanted to do; so what?
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 20 May 2018 3:56:27 PM
There is no equivalent of Islamic extremism in Christianity. Other religions are not under discussion.

The “occupation” is necessary for Israel's defence. If Palestinian terrorists would stop attacking Israel and building tunnels into Israel, the defence measures might not be necessary.

The Palestinians do not want peace; they want the destruction of Israel. Ignoring that fact will not change the situation.

Many people in the West don't like Arabs and Palestinians because of their constant attacks on Israel and their threats to wipe that country of the map. Why is that so hard to understand?

Zionist lobby. Seriously? You are running out of excuses when you have to dig that old one up.

Of course it is expected that America would protect us. They are our only ally in the region, and of course we should support them and Israel, the only democracy in the Middle East. It is outrageous that any Australian should side with people who hate not only Israel and America, but Australia too.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 20 May 2018 4:38:02 PM
ttbn,

Well said!!
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 20 May 2018 4:50:40 PM
Dear Foxy,

Indeed.

And what is so thoroughly embarrassing it is usually a rag tag bunch of Pacific nations who fall in behind the US when it vetoes UN resolutions condemning the actions of Israel. They do it because of their high level of dependence on American support to survive. In one sense their actions are understandable however this time none of them are on the HRC. It was just left to us to vote with the US.

This is what we have now been reduced to, a Western Pacific nation which feels so dependent on the support of the US that it felt it had to overturn decades of doing what is patently doing the right thing of joining the rest of the world in attempting to hold Israel to account.

I'm gutted.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 20 May 2018 5:56:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All