The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Same Sex Marriage Bill Passes In Our Parliament

Same Sex Marriage Bill Passes In Our Parliament

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 95
  8. 96
  9. 97
  10. All
Well - it has passed. Same Sex Marriage is now
legal in Australia.

After so much division - only four members voted
no against the Bill, while nine abstained.
The overwhelming majority passed the Bill.

How do posters feel now that this has happened?

We had so much discussion prior to this happening.
I thought it may be interesting to see what people
feel now. And if anybody has changed their mind
to what they felt previously?
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 8 December 2017 5:54:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I support same sex marriage and always did.

I agree that churches and other religious organisations should be allowed to refuse to marry same sex couples. Churches are someone else's club and those people get to write the rules. I wish they had allowed military chaplains to refuse to conduct services.

I don't believe businesses should be allowed to refuse to cater without being sued. Businesses owned by religious organisations were exempted and I agree with this.

Please correct me if I have my facts wrong.
Posted by benk, Saturday, 9 December 2017 2:17:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On the ABC this morn there was a discussion about how the "Gay" lobby can progress from here and change the minds of the people who voted 'No' so that there is close to 100% acceptance.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 9 December 2017 2:47:10 PM
I'm pleased that my local MP stuck to his word and voted 'yes', despite being against same-sex marriage, because that was what the majority of his electorate wanted.

Meanwhile, the Betoota Advocate has a brilliant satirical piece mocking the loopy conspiracy theory that it is all a cunning plan to destroy the family unit:

'“Phase One Complete” Says Militant Homosexual' (http://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlines/phase-one-complete-says-militant-homosexual)

"The leader of a vast secret network of homosexual terrorists hellbent on corrupting Australian family values to their very core has today ordered his foot soldiers to turn their attention to their next target, after successfully destroying the institution of marriage."
Posted by AJ Philips, Saturday, 9 December 2017 2:55:24 PM
I'm not sure that there will ever be 100% acceptance.
Look at the 4 politicians who voted no and the nine
who abstained. It's unlikely they will ever change their
minds. They haven't to date, and that's fine. We've heard
all the arguments - again, and again, and again.

But at least finally the 45th Parliament has finally voted
and legalised same-sex marriage on Thursday 7th December 2017.
It's been a long journey and undoubtedly one about which
many have mixed feelings.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 9 December 2017 3:06:59 PM
At least the postal survey told us what we already
knew via opinion polls. That roughly 6 out of 10
Australians were in favour of same sex marriage.
And now it's official.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 9 December 2017 3:13:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 95
  8. 96
  9. 97
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy