The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Our illegally elected politicians - Should they pay their wages and benefits back?

Our illegally elected politicians - Should they pay their wages and benefits back?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. All
Dear Opinionated2,

It seems like you have nothing more to say on the subject-matter of this topic.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 6 November 2017 9:31:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The new announcement regarding penalties for people who sit in parliament as dual citizens is just a distraction by Boof Turnbull for not having an audit.

The media all clamor over these announcements and in the rush to shock and awe miss a few points.

In his attempt to look as if he is doing something, Turnbull has bought time, and diverted the issue away from the guilty politicians having to pay back moneys and benefits they have received illegally.

What the Government was doing was buying time till now.

In their party room they would probably have known about this big surprise for some time, giving their side of politics and advantage. I wonder how long the Government members have known this was going to be announced?

Also by leaving it an obligation of the individual he has set up a weak non audit situation. Who is checking on the politicians?

No-one will go to jail... It is a load of rubbish.

Turnbull has been one disappointment after the other.

He ruined our chances of becoming a republic, he destroyed the potential of the NBN by allowing old copper cables to remain, he has cost us a fortune with a nonsensical postal plebiscite on gay marriage, he opened the door and failed as a PM completely.

The saddest thing is on the gay marriage issue. His weakness on not allowing it to be put to a vote in parliament was a political stunt to let his side of politics off the hook when they eventually get to vote. They can now say when they vote yes, that they were following the results of the plebiscite keeping them in better with the people who are so against alternate loving relationships. Hang the consequences of the poor people whose families have voted against their right to marriage. Hang the pain this has caused!

After what he did in the Republican plebiscite years ago I had very little faith in him ever achieving anything as PM...

My lack of faith in him has been soundly rewarded! He is a total failure!
Posted by Opinionated2, Tuesday, 7 November 2017 9:48:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear OP2,

You're right - across multiple portfolios government
policy is a shambles. However - what about our economy?
How's that doing?
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 7 November 2017 10:02:50 AM
Hi Foxy,

The economy is doing fine if you look at the share market but the real economy is mediocre at best. I am not an economist.

We have more household debt than is sustainable, families are doing it really tough with many having their credit cards linked to their homeloans and going backwards to survive. Cost of living is increasing.

Wage growth is basically stagnant.

We have young people who can't afford housing due to a failure of the Government to act on negative gearing and other policies that may put downward pressure on house prices.

The gap between rich and poor is growing excessively.

We are going backwards in regard to environmentally friendly policies with the Government catering more to it's financial backers than the future and our children.

Our ridiculous policy of being a services economy with virtually no manufacturing is a disaster waiting to happen.

The fact that we have had a long period of growth the growth hasn't added to middle class and lower income prosperity. Something huge is wrong! Small businesses are suffering and just hanging in there.

Retail is under huge pressure from online suppliers and will have a flow on effect to shopping centres and vacancy rates.

The trickle down effect (a complete lie in politics) doesn't work and yet this Government

Through all these years of growth with low interest rates we have become more and more debt ridden and all the Government has as an answer is to give tax cuts to the rich and companies.

So all in all the economy looks deceptively as though it's growing but it is actually facing a huge correction at some stage... Good luck when that happens!

But why ask me... There are far more qualified people who aren't aligned to any political party (like me) who can expand on the points greater than I can.

Why did you ask? Come on fess up...lol
Posted by Opinionated2, Tuesday, 7 November 2017 11:55:52 AM
In my rush to finish this because real life is calling I didn't finish this sentence.

The trickle down effect (a complete lie in politics) doesn't work and yet this Government seems to be relying on that again as it's fix all strategy. They should investigate the flood up effect when they give benefits to the lower incomes.

As they spend 100% of their incomes just to survive the money always floods up back into the hands of the rich anyway.

The rich put it in the bank and the lower and middle income earners spend it all to survive.

Which method of helping the economy do you think help the economy best?
Posted by Opinionated2, Tuesday, 7 November 2017 12:01:02 PM
OMG! I will never rush a post again...

This line needs better explanation...

There are far more qualified people who aren't aligned to any political party (like me) who can expand on the points greater than I can.

I am absolutely not aligned to any political party whatsoever! I didn't want people to think I am politically aligned in any way whatsoever.
Posted by Opinionated2, Tuesday, 7 November 2017 12:06:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy