The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What Should Be In OUR Treaty ?

What Should Be In OUR Treaty ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. ...
  14. 33
  15. 34
  16. 35
  17. All
Big Nana,

What you have written resonates with what I have heard from the many decent self-respecting and proud Aborigines (they did not like 'indigenous' either) working on farms in the country and living in remote areas.

For myself, I believe that DNA should decide, a simple swab that is non-invasive and voluntary, where 'positive' discrimination is imagined necessary, such as for jobs and secondly, yes, there should be a fairly high bar set where benefits are being claimed from the taxpayer, or representative status sought.

After all, private companies are obliged to concern themselves with truth in advertising and their product/services claims, lest they suffer heavy penalties. Sauce for the goose..

The ideal however is for all to be treated equally. But politicians have editors to please and that 24 hr news cycle, particularly where the taxpayer-funded national broadcaster (and its 'Progressive' social policies) is concerned.
Posted by leoj, Friday, 2 June 2017 12:17:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
overall problems impede recognition of Aboriginality:
• Organisations do not recognise each other’s paperwork.
• There appears to be a lack of consistency between agencies (some have accepted statutory declarations).
• There is no governing body regarding Aboriginality. It is left up to the individual organisations to interpret government rules.
• No national register or directory of Aboriginal people exists.

Aboriginal family life has been irreversibly changed in most of Australia. Many of the changes have come about merely by the presence of Europeans; others are attributable directly to the colonisers' actions, which were aimed at taking control of the land, thus destroying family life as it existed in pre-colonial Aboriginal society.
Posted by doog, Friday, 2 June 2017 12:50:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Joel,

«I believe that DNA should decide»

I'm afraid otherwise, for what could prevent the aboriginal people from accepting new blood into their ranks over the years?

On the other hand, you could have a full-blooded person of aboriginal ancestry who is but a traitor, deeply immersed in the Western culture and habits, who speaks English and goes by an English name - such people do not deserve to benefit from the people and culture they have betrayed.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 2 June 2017 1:00:16 PM
doog,

By all means mire it up in more jobs for the chosen rellies and mates of mates and only then if the stars align - hold it, make that 'secret business' - there might there be some indications eh, doog?

Queensland's Fisheries Inspectors don't seem to have much problem where illegal jennies and under-sized muddies are concerned. They must be smarter than all of the fed's expensive (hundreds of millions of dollars worth) 'indigenous' experts in Canberra, huh?
Posted by leoj, Friday, 2 June 2017 1:07:22 PM
Hi Big Nana,

I don't disagree - people can honestly call themselves whatever they prefer, but unless they are experiencing deprivation, or materially have done so in the recent past, they may access benefits in the same way and to the same extent as other Australians.

Yuyusu,

If by Joel, you mean me, I didn't make that comment, Leoj did. As it happens, no, I don't agree with it, unless recombinant DNA is meant.

With my limited understanding of the genetics involved, it may be possible for an Indigenous person, say a male, not to have inherited any Indigenous DNA from their father - whose mother may well have been Indigenous - and also not from his mother, if his Indigenous father marries a non-Indigenous woman.

In that case, neither Indigenous Y chromosomes nor Indigenous mitochondrial DNA is passed on to the child - and yet they can be Indigenous through and through, culturally, socially and economically.

It's a complicated world, Yuyutsu, and pronouncements from your lofty throne mean nothing.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 2 June 2017 2:49:11 PM
Dear Joe,

Thank you for drawing my attention to the similarities of your name with that of Joel (Leoj): I simply haven't noticed it and my post was certainly directed to Joel (Leoj).

What I meant is that no genetic test can establish or deny aboriginality, for two reasons, even without the extra supporting factors that you just mentioned:

1. If you agree that the aboriginal people were sovereign all along, then they could have at any time (and still can) adopt and embrace new people of any race.
2. Those who betrayed their aboriginal culture and adopted the ways of their conquerors, may no longer refer to themselves as "aboriginal" no matter what DNA runs in their body.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 2 June 2017 3:12:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12