The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why is Trump Different?

Why is Trump Different?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. All
"Russia has voted 90 to 3 to decriminalize domestic violence. Obviously women are not equal in Russia"

That is not so is it? Headlines need to be examined a little more closely.

"Dubbed the “slapping law” by Russian press, the bill relates to”violent actions causing injuries which do not require hospital treatment or cause the victim to require sick leave from work.” These “less serious injuries” if committed as a first offense, would be qualified “as administrative – rather than criminal – offences,” according to BBC News. For that first offense, you could be fined, or have to do community service, but no jail time or criminal charges.

Subsequent incidents could still be considered criminal, however."

While all violence is abhorrent, where the assault is a first offence and in is relatively minor it may be sensible not to gaol and create a long-lasting criminal record that affects employment. What are the predictors for future behaviour as opposed to automatic gaol? Note that they DO NOT get off Scott free but the penalty is different.

Is all DV (and the offenders) the same, simply part of the one continuum? Or can early intervention and counselling in the majority of incidents dramatically power the prospect of further problems? Maybe offenders differ.

Still, this is the Internet and emotion rules.
Posted by leoj, Wednesday, 1 February 2017 10:30:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We'll just have to send a petition to President Trump ( spellcheck says that's OK but it looks so wrong) to take note of OLO from now on and into the radioactive next 4 years. Maybe send a daily summary to him with Turnbull's seal of approval and explanation about the split voting patterns.
Posted by nicknamenick, Wednesday, 1 February 2017 10:34:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bad question, phanto. That should have been as obvious as the lack of seriousness in another comment of mine that you pretended not to spot, but I'll answer it anyway.

<<Why do you ask?>>

Because it seems strange to me that someone would dictate to others how they should and should not behave on a forum that is not theirs - but only if they're on the other side of the political spectrum, naturally.

Why do you ask why I ask?
Posted by AJ Philips, Wednesday, 1 February 2017 10:54:11 AM
AJ Phillips:

If I am dictating and dictating is so terribly against the forum rules then why not appeal to the moderator to have my comments removed? That is the only way you can stop me.

Here is your perfect opportunity to put up or shut up.
Posted by phanto, Wednesday, 1 February 2017 12:02:42 PM
It’s not against the rules, phanto.

<<If I am dictating and dictating is so terribly against the forum rules then why not appeal to the moderator to have my comments removed?>>

Where did you get that from?
Posted by AJ Philips, Wednesday, 1 February 2017 12:12:23 PM
Either way you are not able to stop me so you still have to put up or shut up. People are watching you.
Posted by phanto, Wednesday, 1 February 2017 12:26:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17