The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia's Shame

Australia's Shame

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. 19
  13. All
Ignoring ttbn's beyond twisted commentary....

This stuff has been known for quite sometime in the NT.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-26/the-nt-has-known-about-juvenile-mistreatment-for-years/7661124

"The NT has known about mistreatment of juveniles for years. So why has nothing happened?"

"There have been two very consistent responses from the Northern Territory Government over the years I've been covering this story.

The first has been 'nothing to see here, there are no problems, we're dealing with them, we're addressing them'.

But over the top of that response has always been this very strong message from NT Corrections Minister John Elferink, and to a lesser extent from NT Corrections boss Ken Middlebrook up until late last year, that we're not to feel too sorry for the young men in Don Dale because they are bad kids, tough kids, they've done terrible things to people in the community."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-26/the-nt-has-known-about-juvenile-mistreatment-for-years/7661124

As usual, it takes graphic pictures and video exposed to the nation for the outrage to surface.

I mean tell me that why when this was published, no-one said er..um...don't you think that's a bit Guantanamo?

"The use of restraint chairs on children in custody in the Northern Territory can be used in particular circumstances, after laws were passed in Parliament.

The Youth Justice Amendment Bill 2016 clarifies the type of restraints that can be used on juvenile offenders, including the use of special cable ties called flex cuffs."

""[This legislation] provides extra rigour in terms of the sorts of the equipment that can be used [to restrain] juveniles from either harming themselves, harming other inmates, or harming staff," Mr Elferink said."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-26/restraint-chairs-with-cable-ties-approved-for-use-on-nt-youths/7448460

Mr Elferink being the fella who has just been unceremoniously booted from the portfolio of Correctional Services...although is still in charge of five portfolios - Attorney General and Minister for Justice, Minister for Children and Families, Minister for Health, Minister for Disability Services, Minister for Mental Health Services.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 3:36:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Runner, do you think that because of the probably plenty of criminal acts these minors have committed in the community that they deserve what they got in the videos we viewed?
What do think is reasonable punishment for underage children then? '

Susie

One of these young ones had bashed their mother, tried to run over a policeman and committed numerous other crimes. These are very much adult crimes. I have lived in areas with this stuff happening on a regular basis.

I have personally witnesed young teenagers going beserk. In the light of deaths in custody and the willingness to damage themselves, damage others and refuse all instruction I am unaware of what other options are left. Do we allow these offenders to run the show?

In saying that it is very distressing to see young adults treated like animals even though they behave like them. I have no easy answer but I know it is not to demonise all those working in these horrible environments. The problems started a long time before the kids became criminals. Aborignal leadership is severely lacking although myriads put up their hands for high paid Governement jobs to do nothing but criticise while collecting fat cheques. Some ownership would be refreshing to say the least.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 4:19:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
btw Susie I have met the occassional Indigenous person who agrees with me.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 4:21:22 PM
'No doubt of it Runner there are some rather sick and twisted human beings - on both sides of the barbed wire at Don Dale.'

appreciate your balanced view Albie and their are no winners in being right in this one. The old adage though that only truth can set a person free. I worked as a screw in Goulburn 35 years ago. We had good officers and a few very bad apples. I would hate the job today.

This is what the juvie guards are facing. A kid (one of many) who

'A court later heard that Voller, then a slightly built teen, ran bare-chested at the man, yelling “you fat white racist dog. You yelled at us”.

this was before bashing the innocent man unconscious. The ingrain racism in these offenders is pitiful.

'Justice Barr noted that the 16-year-old had a very troubled past, dating back to when he was an 11-year-old and had committed more than 50 offences, including crimes of violence, over five years.'

the list goes on and on. Imagine having to watch over dozens of these offenders. Yes they are victims but very dangerous victims. The greatest deterrent would of been caring parents at a young age. Few for reasons not allowed to be discussed get that.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 4:39:04 PM
It seems that you did not ignore my "twisted commentary", Poirot.

Putting you to one side, what sympathy I have left will reside with the aged patient in my own city, suffering from Alzheimers' in an Adelaide nursing home, having a steel spoon jammed cruelly into his mouth because he was slow to eat; having his nose twisted savagely with a cloth while being suffocated, then being cuffed around the head from both sides of his bed by his 'carer'. All plain to see via a camera planted in the room by the victim's daughter. And, when she took evidence of what she had suspected had been going on for some time to commandant of this prison camp posing as a care home, she was accused of offending against the Privacy Act. That's how much the carers cared. Of course, she went to the police, but the best the court could do was give the sadistic perpetrator 10 months jail.

So, do I need tell you where you weeping willies where can put your concern about young feral thugs, who didn't need to get themselves into trouble in the first place?
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 4:40:12 PM
Well call me a racists but I hope the funding for any RC comes from the indigenous budget.

We give these people billions, allow them the freedom they fought for to run their own lives and all of a sudden their out of control kids are our fault.

While I don't think the treatment of any children in this manner is acceptable, the other side of the story would most likely be that they are immune to what we consider to be normal treatment.

Talk about caught between a rock and a hard place and of cause we dare not intervene for reasons not in need of an explanation.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 6:46:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. 19