The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia's Shame

Australia's Shame

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. All
I watched 4 Corners this evening, 25/07/2016.
I'm still very upset by what I saw.

Did any one else see the program?

What are your reactions and what should be done
about what was shown?

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2016/07/25/4504895.htm
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 25 July 2016 11:32:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just noted on twitter by an ABC journo who tweeted - "in the last 10 minutes the PM has announced a RC will be established."
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 7:42:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Malcolm Turnbull has announced a royal commission into the treatment of children in juvenile detention in the Northern Territory after revelations of abuse at the Don Dale detention facility in Berrimah, outside Darwin.

The prime minister told ABC’s AM that like all Australians he was “deeply shocked ... and appalled” at the abuse, revealed on Four Corners on Monday.

Turnbull said there was “no question” about the mistreatment of young people as recently as 2014."

"Turnbull noted there had been other inquiries which had examined the Don Dale centre that had not turned up such evidence, so a a royal commission was needed to determine how it had been allowed to continue.

Turnbull said he had met the Northern Territory chief minister, Adam Giles, and the federal attorney general, George Brandis, and decided a royal commission was necessary to compel testimony and evidence from witnesses."

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jul/26/malcolm-turnbull-announces-royal-commission-northern-territory-detention?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 7:44:54 AM
We watched the 'Four Corners' program, it was shocking in its exposure. Given what was shown on TV, Turnbull had no other alternative than a Royal Commission into the Juvenile Justice system in the NT.
There are members of the MT Country Liberals Government who need to be held to account.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 9:26:17 AM
Yes it was truly awful. If any of us had treated our children like that we would be jailed for assault and child abuse.
I don't see the point of a Royal Commision though. There was plenty of evidence of assault on the video that should result in convictions of those responsible asap.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 9:59:53 AM
I watched it and it was appalling.

Suse,

The video may not be admissible evidence in a Court of Law, much would depend on how it was obtained, but a royal Commission has sweeping powers that should get to the bottom of this.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 26 July 2016 10:41:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy