The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Turkish coup. About time?

Turkish coup. About time?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Islam, hence radical Islam, has now made headway into Europe whilst eating away at it from within.

Not a happy situation.
Posted by Luciferase, Monday, 18 July 2016 3:42:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot, in 1933 the World had no legitimate reason to overthrow Hitler, some time later it did, but that had nothing to do with his democratic election, it had more to with his warmongering.
Erdogan is not a nice guy by any measure, but who should have the authority to overthrow him, other than the Turkish people? I don't agree with the regime in Iran, but do we have the authority to subvert that regimes just because we don't agree with it?

Shadow, I do not support "totalitarian regimes massacring civilians" that's more your style. Turkey is a member of NATO, making it an ally of the US, again the type of regime I expect you to support, there have been plenty of bloody awful regimes past and present, you have supported.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 18 July 2016 7:08:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, I know that, Paul.

Was just noting that democratically elected govts sometimes morph into monsters....incrementally.
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 18 July 2016 7:32:16 PM
Humans are a savage warlike bunch.
Posted by CHERFUL, Monday, 18 July 2016 9:23:31 PM
Hi Poirot, I grasp what you say about the democratically elected morphing into monsters, has happened many times, Mugabe in Zimbabwe a classic example.
In the West we see our democratic system of government as the ideal, and like some nineteenth centenary Christian missionaries we want to spread it far and wide. What I question is it what these "poor savages" need or are we simply kidding ourselves, that our form of democracy is find for us, but is it mostly unworkable in many countries for a variety of reasons. You need a lot more than a ballot box and slips of paper to make a democracy. What are your thoughts?
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 19 July 2016 7:24:24 AM
Paul, I think that missionary impulse might have withered since the 'Arab Spring'. Unless Islam can somehow be reformed - by Muslims, most fundamentally by allowing the analysis of the Koran by Muslims, the aspirations for 'democracy' in Muslim countries are almost as remote as the 'dictatorship of the proletariat' of distant memory.

Muslims are as entitled to democratically choose their own political leaders: the freedoms and equalities that we take for granted should, sooner or later, be available to everybody, but the path from A to B may be very long and very bitter for many of our fellow human beings.

Symbolically Erdogan stood on top of a stationary bus to give his victory speech. That can't be coincidence. It's going to be a long 'Muslim Winter'.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 19 July 2016 10:01:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy