The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Manus Island, Illegal.

Manus Island, Illegal.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. All
Dear Suse,

<<I am sick of the whole mess and the embarrassment this Government has caused for us.>>

It's none of your own doing, so why take it personally?

We all have about 100 trillion bacteria in our guts and some of those do cause us mild discomfort: we have to live with it but it would be silly to allow this to become a source of embarrassment.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 28 April 2016 1:09:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suseonline,
If I turn up on your doorstep, will you feed, clothe and house me?

Just because I show up on your doorstep does not make me your problem.
I see no reason why you shouldn't slam the door in my face, tell me to get lost and explain that I'm 'not your problem'.

Maybe if you give me an inch I will take a mile.
Next thing you know, I've got my feet up on the couch and control of the remote, and I'm drinking milk out of the bottle and emptying out your pantry and leaving a mess all over the kitchen bench and crumbs and garbage all over your coffee table, couch and loungeroom floor.

Will you still think it was a good idea to have let me in the door?

I do think that we need to find a better solution to all this because I don't think the current policy is working all that well for anyone.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 28 April 2016 5:33:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Suse,

Manus Island was always nothing more than a political solution to what is a humanitarian problem. The political reality was, and Rudd could see it, with the right aided by their media lackeys pushing the fear button, and a general undertone of suspension of "boat people" within the Australian community, Rudd knew he had to plug the gap that his political opponents were successfully exploiting to the hilt, all to his governments detriment.
Right on our doorstep we have one of the poorest countries in the world, in Papua New Guinea. It would not have taken all that much effort by the Rudd Government to convince the PNG government of the merits of their scheme, particularly the financial merits for the dirt poor nation to our north. PNG were actually in the better position than Australia on this. This court decision does not really affect them, they can simply tell Australia to take their problem elsewhere, but there will be no cash refund.
BTW, at the moment about half of the 850 people on Manus have been shown to be genuine refugees, and the other half are still awaiting processing. "Houston, we have a problem".
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 28 April 2016 5:55:33 AM
Suseonline,
I want to take this scenario a step further.

What if I knew in advance that you were the type of guillible fool that would take pity on me and open the door an let me in?
Where do you think I'm headed?
- Your place of course.

And what if you got sick and tired of me taking liberties and expecting a free ride and making a mess over the place and tried to get me to move on.

What if I repay your kindness by stealing from you and wrecking up your place or threatening violence or standing over you or make up stories about you to discredit you or claiming squatters rights?

Maybe I never gave a crap about you or your kindness in the first place and only ever cared about what I could get.

Wouldn't you feel foolish them?
But it wouldn't matter, because I already got my foot in the door.

You can be the do-gooder and hold the moral high ground by advocating to open the door, but you're skating on thin ice in a manner that you may be advocating for a position that one day we may all regret.

We may end up resenting those who promoted it and allowed it to happen a whole lot more than those foreigners who became the problem.

You may think you mean well have the moral high ground, but one day you might be HATED as being weak and naive for doing exactly that.
..Just my 2 cents, nothing personal and no offense intended.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 28 April 2016 5:59:54 AM
Armchair Critic, do you really expect any fair minded person to answer your emotive charged "scenario", more a rant than a scenario.
I'll put a question to you. Did you take one of Hitler's anti Jewish speeches of the 1930's and reword it to fit your "scenario"
Oh! how dare you Paul1405 compare me to Hitler, I'm nothing like Hitler! Yes you are, unpleasant as it may be, you are exactly the same different time, different place. the only difference is Hitler had power, and you don't.
Feel free to vent your spleen on me now. Water off a ducks back.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 28 April 2016 7:26:55 AM
Yep, close down Manus Island.

Tell the Pseudo Refugees to pick another Country & go there at their own expense, you are not coming here. Then pack 'em off.

That'll save Australia millions that can be spent on Health, Education & much needed Infrastructure.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 28 April 2016 8:13:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy