The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Manus Island, Illegal.

Manus Island, Illegal.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All
Paul,

Some of your statements are patently false "Australia has been lucky in that the numbers so far making their way here have been relatively small, but still present a major issue for us. We have concentrated our efforts of dealing with the problem at the end of the chain and not done a great deal, as much as we can, about dealing with the source of the problem. In fact we have taken an active hand in helping create the problems."

The low numbers in 2008/9 were because of the pacific solution and it taking time for the smugglers to get organised. At the end there were nearly 1000 arriving a week, and without the coalition, it would have got worse, and the greens solution would have a disaster of Germanic proportions.

As for bollocks about Aus being actively involved in the problems, the Taliban were just as vicious before 2001, and the other wars proceeded without Aus.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 6 May 2016 9:39:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shadow, in the context of 60 million refugees and displaced persons world wide, even 1000 a week or 52,000 year, is not a huge number. I'm not suggesting all 60 million ever intent to make their way to Australia. What I do say is the potential exists for the refugee problem as it presents itself to us to grow. What we don't have, and both Labor and the Coalition in government are responsible, a failure to develop a long term strategic plan to deal effectively with refugees.

JayB, still being driven by blinked fanaticism, just as there are Christians and Christians, there are Muslim and Muslim. Not all 1.6 billion Muslims in the world want to cut your throat, there are some who do, but how we deal with the vast majority who don't is the question, and how we deal with that minority is another question. Your view is total nonsense.

JF Aus, until the systemic problems of war in those countries that creates refugees in the first place is dealt with, the world is going to lunge from one growing crises to another.

Beach, simply banging your political drum.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 6 May 2016 11:42:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
p1405: there are Muslim and Muslim. Not all 1.6 billion Muslims in the world want to cut your throat, there are some who do,

Ok, Fair enough, but 1.5 Billion is still a lot of moslims.

Is it or is it not one of the Tenants of Islam. It is the Duty of every moslim to Convert, enslave or kill every Infidel they can, or be martyred trying. So, while moslims are a minority in a Country they will stay under the Radar. Until, that is, they become the majority then those, who you say don't want to "kill the Infidel," will, with fervour. Every Imam will be encouraging that act from every mosque in the land. They do in Europe & the UK & some parts of Australia now.

This is a very bad Religion & should be Banned from Australia.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 6 May 2016 2:06:07 PM
Hey Paul,
I like to use my so called free speech but occasionally I do go a little to far.
I also assume the wars are a cause of many of the refugees but I also agree they come here for a chance at a better life.

I still stand by all the things I said earlier though.
Australian taxpayers shouldn't be forced to foot the bill for whoever turns up here, and they shouldn't be placed at risk of harm for their goodwill towards any foreigner.
Also it's not a good idea to show them they can get a handout from day 1.
(I think this handout driven society generally isn't in our best interests.)

Foreigners successfully assimilating isn't ever really true, they wouldn't gather in clusters keeping their own religions, cultures, and customs if is was.
In some ways 'Equality' means they don't have to assimilate and that we instead have to.
I do believe they they should respect our country and assimilate into it and that we shouldn't necessarily have to assimilate into where they came from.

So I tend to agree with Jayb, I think its has and will continue to be a foolish mistake to allow the Islamification of Australia, evidenced by what has occurred in Europe, and that we do so at our own detriment, but this is just one of many issues where I see us needing to start doing things a whole lot smarter in this country.

JF Aus
Yes I also thought it reasonable to think that a person who lights themselves on fire isn't exactly thinking rationally and isn't a good candidate for roaming free in Australia.
Its hard to say how much detention contributed to a person's impaired mental health or whether they were prone to doing crazy irrational stuff all along. I've no doubt the situation the refugees are in generates a feeling of helplessness and desperation.
It's hard to know what really goes on ever there.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 7 May 2016 8:54:48 AM
It is hard to ascertain what contributes to a person's decision to suicide by setting themselves alight.

From memory I think the books inicate stress comes from numerous different situations that amount to or result in a chemical reaction/change in the brain, and that ongoing stresses can lead to anxiety and that prolonged anxiety can lead to depression and nervous breakdown and/or suicide.

If application for asylums is believed, people detained at Manus were impacted by chronic stress in their own country. They were under threat of crippling injury or death, so they should be able to consider their stay at tropical Manus Island is paradise because they are safe and alive.

And they are free to go back to their own country or to another country any time they like.

However I think Manus and others needing help to survive could come on fly in fly out contract, to work here building infrastructure such as aqueduct from northern Queensland to the MDB catchment.

And I think another 50,000 refugees from refugee camps in Jordan to work here in infrastructure construction camps.
They could learn and take back skills and build water infrastructure in Middle East countries to grow more affordable food supply.
It could be all about sustainable business and employment toward prosperity and peace.

Working for UN sourced income is better that sitting in a camp doing nothing at cost to the UN or other government handout.

If such business and employment generating infrastructure development was set up in the home countries there would be less or nil refugees anyway.
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 8 May 2016 9:48:27 AM
JF Aus: It is hard to ascertain what contributes to a person's decision to suicide by setting themselves alight.

Defective DNA. Therefore their suicide is a good thing.

JF Aus: so they should be able to consider their stay at tropical Manus Island is paradise because they are safe and alive.

Yes, of course. I've given examples of the Tourist Broachers for both Manus & Nauru previously. These Islands are a Tropical Paradise & the only sand is on the Beach. Compared to what they could be living in provided by the UNCHR, The Camps on the Islands are Luxury Hotels.

JF Aus: And I think another 50,000 refugees from refugee camps in Jordan to work here in infrastructure construction camps.

No, they're moslims & having them come to Australia would be a bad thing.

JF Aus: If such business and employment generating infrastructure development was set up in the home countries there would be less or nil refugees anyway.

That's been tried. They just blow them up.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 8 May 2016 12:57:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All