The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Does Australia Need A New Flag?

Does Australia Need A New Flag?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. 19
  13. 20
  14. 21
  15. All
You and I, it's not you and me. Besides all that wealth of learning in such diverse subjects as, sociological, anthropological and archaeological, where did you get the time to learn to beat your own drum so loudly?
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 1 February 2016 6:46:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//If I want to know about the past, or about a particular culture, or about social behaviour, etc., the last person I would approach for an explanation is an engineer.//

On the other hand, if I want a bridge that stays up I'll ask a civil engineer. If my dog gets sick I'll take him to vet; if I get sick I'll visit a doctor. There are lots of degrees which are almost entirely vocational in nature, and that's because we need doctors, engineers, nurses, teachers, vets etc.

What we don't really need are huge numbers of navel-gazing BA (Bachelor of Attendance) graduates. They have their place, but if everybody wanted to major in Art History and Gender Studies instead of studying useful stuff society would run into problems.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Monday, 1 February 2016 6:58:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul1405,

Can you please cite the Law of English that says 'Thou Shalt Not Use Informal English'? As far as I know there are no laws governing English usage and we are pretty much free to use whatever we want in whatever social context we want.

And anyone can make gain on another's transgression from formal language usage. For example you have just used 'sociological, anthropological and archaeological' as nouns instead of adjectives. I think your grammatical error is a much bigger one than mine. But don't worry, we all can work out what you are saying. And no one (except me) is worried about picking you up on it.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 1 February 2016 7:08:21 AM
It is fun generalising.

Engineers are not interested in and not aware of social issues? -Of all of the generalisations here, that allegation would be the most likely to make any engineer's blood boil. Think about it, wtf are engineers designing for?

Engineers cannot perform/contribute effectively in multidisciplinary teams?

Purely vocational?

How old are you guys? All professions have changed. That is if they ever were so limited (in living memory).
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 1 February 2016 7:27:21 AM
It is worth noting that at one time Syd. Uni. required Engineering students (among others) to do a certain number of Arts courses, to 'humanize them', as it was put.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 1 February 2016 7:53:18 AM
Nah, Mr Onion can't be bothered, not much energy expanded there cut and paste.

Engineers are not interested in and not aware of social issues? This one is.

Is Mise, a form of shock treatment?
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 1 February 2016 8:36:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. 19