The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Holistic Approach to Domestic Violence

Holistic Approach to Domestic Violence

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 37
  8. 38
  9. 39
  10. All
It has been a long time coming, but full credit to Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk for having the courage to support male victims of domestic violence as being worthy of recognition and assistance too.

Not something the populist Malcolm Turnbull has acknowledged.

<Domestic violence campaigns need to start recognising male abuse victims: QLD Premier

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced she will be approaching Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull about launching a domestic violence awareness campaign which acknowledges male victims.

Ms Palaszczuk has admitted she has changed the way she speaks about domestic violence victims in a way which is more inclusive of men after speaking with a male abuse victim at a cabinet event in Bundaberg, the Brisbane Times has reported.

“I do understand that there are a number of men who have gone through or are going through (domestic violence),” she said.

“I actually did change my language when it did become public because it was brought to my attention that there was some serious issues surrounding some men in our community needing help as well.”

Ms Palaszczuk said the next time she speaks with Mr Turnbull she will be addressing the idea of more inclusive campaigns with him, admitting male victims need to be more appropriately recognised.

“I do think that is something we do need to address a bit more,” she said.

“It has to be about stopping violence.”

Ms Palaszczuk said her aim of tackling domestic violence by focusing on the younger generation had not changed.

“Any advertising needs to be about respectful relationships,” she said.

“We need to make sure that that is actually taught not just in the home, but in the schools and that it is the way we treat men and women and it is about calling people out for the wrong thing."

Ms Palaszczuk has been leading the government battle against domestic violence since receiving the ‘Not Now, Not Ever’ report commissioned by the Tony Abbott government.>

http://tinyurl.com/pgzkdl

It may be some time before the 'fact checking'(LOL) ABC catches up. This will take some spinning to reframe. Maybe just forget it.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 21 October 2015 5:30:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree. We absolutely need to remember the many male victims of their fathers, brothers, male partners, sons and other relatives.
They need just as much support as the female relatives.

One only needs to remember the many people out there with mental health issues and/or head injuries, who are being cared for by male relatives as well as female ones.
These people, as well as those with dementia, are often prone to violence against their relatives.
I take my hat off to those who continue to care for violent relatives in their own homes. They often suffer from mental health issues themselves as a result of the verbal and physical abuse they suffer from their relatives.
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 22 October 2015 10:33:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I have no experience of domestic violence against me, I can appreciate the anger often expressed by some men when the there seems to be no recognition of female instigated domestic violence. There are some pretty vicious women out there who make their spouses' lives hell physically and psychologically.

But, all the 'promises' made by politicians not known for actually keeping promises could just be more grandstanding. After all, what can they really do to PREVENT domestic violence? Perpetrators can be punished after the act, but that has proved to be insufficient to stop any crime in all but a few instances when a person genuinely reforms. It's virtually impossible to stop violence in public areas; completely impossible in a domestic situation, I would have thought
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 22 October 2015 10:33:43 AM
ttbn,

There is a lot of truth in what you say about the difficulty in preventing DV, or any violence.

However, dispelling the myth that DV is solely hererosexual and gendered, ie exclusively male offenders and female victims, along with the flawed beliefs that go with that, should ensure that more female and male victims can come forward and their claims will at least be given some consideration by health workers, police and so on.

As usual, my interest is in getting value for (taxpayers') money. Like many others, I abhor the shonky 'science' and factoids that are promoted by the media and the scoundrels who profit from them. It is dismaying, completely unsatisfactory, that the 'sandstone' universities shamelessly permit highly questionable 'research' and interests to be associated with them, thereby lending them undeserved credence. The public are trusting of universities and research, but shamefully that trust is sometimes misplaced.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 22 October 2015 11:26:33 AM
Well there you have it folks.

According to Suse, we have to feel sorry for "the many male victims of their fathers, brothers, male partners, sons and other relatives". I guess that means we aren't allowed to feel sorry for those men who are married to, or just live with a bitch. It must be OK for those bitches to belt their men, because Suse just refuses to acknowledge they exist.

That's our Suse, about as unbiased & fair minded as OUR ABC, & the Family court.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 22 October 2015 11:42:35 AM
Otb

Yes. We seem to be as one on this issue.

Franc
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 22 October 2015 12:57:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 37
  8. 38
  9. 39
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy