The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tony Abbott, if this is true you've lost me.

Tony Abbott, if this is true you've lost me.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Aiden, we discussed tis previously. The curve rolls over so far that
below 7 it is almost verticle. BTW any sign of those higher output cells ?

Doog, I think it was always expected that for multi story blocks of
home units they would run fibre to the basement and run something else
up the risers to the premises on each floor.
Not sure what they are doing, it would be easy to connect to the phone
lines in the basement.
Very cheap way of getting a really high speed connection.
Office blocks would be more complicated because of PABXs.

Anyway, the real problem is the servers at the remote end.
All the NBN will do is provide faster packets with longer time between packets.
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 18 July 2015 3:35:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Malcolm Turnbull sacked the NBN Co board because they didn't agree with him," he said. "A year and half later, Turnbull's hand-picked replacement has come to the same conclusion - his second-rate copper NBN is a dud.
Mr Turnbull has also previously said that his technology is designed as a stepping stone on the path to connecting more premises directly to fiber – a move critics say will cost more time and money.

We have a stepping stone technology wow what does that mean a second round of NBN at a later date.

No good trying to fool everybody is there. We have a dud.
Posted by doog, Saturday, 18 July 2015 4:55:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Doesn't matter, as I said;

Anyway, the real problem is the servers at the remote end.
All the NBN will do is provide faster packets with longer time between packets.
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 18 July 2015 9:54:46 PM
Bazz, what curve are you referring to?

BTW ITYM lower input cells.
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 18 July 2015 10:17:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aiden,
There are a number of papers on this, but here is one link I
kept on the subject.
As it goes over the knee of the curve there is a point of opinion as
to what point it beomes pointless.
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/8625
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 18 July 2015 10:34:07 PM
Oh I see , Bazz — someone graphs a rather trivial mathematical relationship, runs the horizontal axis backwards and calls it a cliff, and you fail to notice that it isn't actually a cliff.

Meanwhile back in reality, energy invested is often a small fraction of value invested, so when comparing viability it's stupid to ignore this act in favour of a totally arbitrary EROEI threshold.

And of course the EROEI measure ignores energy consumed. When that's included, the figure for fossil fuels drops below 1. Why do you not see that as a more important limitation?
Posted by Aidan, Sunday, 19 July 2015 5:57:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy