The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gender Pay Gap ‘So Deeply Misleading’

Gender Pay Gap ‘So Deeply Misleading’

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
The crack about intelligence was just to get under the Feminist's skin and make them post something silly, there are slight differences in mean intelligence between the genders but stark differences in distribution across the bell curve.
Most women are of average intelligence but both the genius and moron ends of the curve are dominated by men.
This explains why so many of the leaders and innovators in society are men and also why men make up the bulk of the prison population and the homeless.
So we all understand now that freedom and equality cannot coexist in the real world? Where equality is mandated by government or unions (which are a form of government) then men and women can have equal conditions, even though as others have pointed out men are still expected to do the bulk of the work.
Where formal equality is absent or not enforced men and women tend to take up roles and occupations which suit their lifestyle and their temperament.
Furthermore it's blatantly obvious that formal equality never results in substantive equality in the real world, this is simply because nature doesn't do equal.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Monday, 29 September 2014 2:49:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
JoM "Most women are of average intelligence but both the genius and moron ends of the curve are dominated by men.This explains why so many of the leaders and innovators in society are men and also why men make up the bulk of the prison population and the homeless."

Lol!
Where did you find the little gem about most women being of average intelligence?
Was it from neanderthalsrule.com?

I agree with the moron label for some men, but there are plenty of bright females around, although I doubt any would be in your near vicinity.

Men make up most of the prison population because they are generally more violent, but not all men are violent of course.
Maybe if they used their brains more often, like women do, they wouldn't be in jail in such big numbers :)
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 29 September 2014 3:59:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suseonline, "At least the 'tough' boys who dominate the mining or roadwork sectors get paid well for this work.
I would suggest that most employers in these areas would not want to hire women anyway"

You could not be more wrong. In Queensland a mine went to the extent of challenging the Anti-Discrimination Act (legislation you would doubtless support out of feminist ignorance) to allow it to recruit and train women heavy equipment operators.

Matter of fact your global assumptions about the private sector discriminating against women are wrong and offensive too. You haven't had any exposure to the private sector, have you?

Why do you imagine that any business would not pay its well performing staff to motivate and retain them? Pay differences invariably result from differences in the skills, performance and responsibilities. The job descriptions might be generic, but the capacity and willingness of the occupants to perform, or is more often the difference, lay more of one's personal life on the line, vary according to the individual.

What has got me perplexed though is why any feminist - if she had the interests of other women at heart and respected their choices - would not be supporting women who generally CHOOSE not to sacrifice personal life for extra dollars. Maybe women want to life worth living. Surveys of women support that conclusion.

What about you entertain the very simple and obvious fact that most women go through a number of transitions in life and that is most often by choice? Few women for example who return to work after raising their family want to climb the greasy pole. To be blunt, they would choose job sharing and preferably where the responsibilities do not require any commitments outside the set work hours.

This is all known by the educated middle class women who are feminism, but it plainly does not suit their own agenda.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 29 September 2014 4:04:05 PM
OTB, you couldn't be more wrong, I have worked in the private sector for the past 12 years. How about you?

Are you suggesting that the official statistics given by the government are wrong?
Why would they do that?
Do you have the correct statistics then on Australian gender specific pay rates then?

I am not going on opinions here, I am looking at facts.
You don't seem to deal in facts...
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 29 September 2014 5:15:30 PM
Here are a couple of examples, one secondhand, the other from my own experience, both from the 1980s. Things have improved since then, but the mindset continues.

1. All male recruiting committee discussing creation of a new technical job at a particular pay grade (requiring degree, experience). The discussion assumes male: what tasks 'he' will do etc. One of committee (my source) comments: 'there are a lot of women with this expertise, maybe we shouldn't just be assuming the applicants will be male'. 'Of course' says committee chair, 'well, if we're going to consider a women, we should create the job at a lower grade'. Which is what they did...

My source said 'I really tried to convince them to create the job at the higher grade regardless of whether a man or woman was appointed - after all we were likely to get female applicants with higher expertise (because they were prepared to take a tech support job while raising a family). Which is what happened..
Posted by Cossomby, Monday, 29 September 2014 5:45:33 PM
Example 2.

In the 1980s I worked for a scientifically based government department. There were two scientific support units, with comparable legal responsibilities and expertise requirements, just handling different topics. When the second unit had been established, the first appointee (and head) was female and she was placed on a lower grade than the equivalent position (ie the male head) in the other unit. As she recruited staff, they were placed on lower grades again - they had to be lower than the female head, but as a result their positions were also graded lower than their equivalents in the unit with the male head. (This affected both male and female staff).

When I was recruited to the second unit (with the female head) I was therefore on a grade substantially lower than my counterpart in the first unit. The irony was that my degrees were in the area of the first unit, and were higher than those of any of the staff in that unit at the time. That was not relevant - the grade and pay differences were set in stone, although I think that has since been redressed with reviews of the grading system. (I didn't stay long).

This is an example of how historic inequities get entrenched and have unintended consequences (ie affecting males as well as females, and having no basis in differential intelligence, strength etc.), resulting in compounding injustice - absolutely less pay over time, but also less superannuation etc.
Posted by Cossomby, Monday, 29 September 2014 6:08:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All