The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gender Pay Gap ‘So Deeply Misleading’

Gender Pay Gap ‘So Deeply Misleading’

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
".... women are slower, weaker and less intelligent than men on average, why should they be paid the same?"

hahaha!

Which always brings me back to a documentary I once watched - where, in an African village, the women got sick of the males not pulling their weight, so they trundled off with the kids and constructed their own village. It was a thriving community, full of life and industry.

The documentary visited the men left at the old village - and they were totally stultified...nothing was happening because the life blood of the community was missing. They were sitting around doing diddly-squat. The village was "dead"

I imagine the women returned in the long run - or the blokes would have physically come after them - however, it was a good indication of where men would be without women's impetus.

(Although, I wonder how they managed to construct a village and set it thriving being "slower, weaker and less intelligent than men"....mystery that one:)
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 29 September 2014 8:20:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh wouldn't it be bliss.

Peace & quiet, without the continual squabbling of ruckus women & children. The women could visit occasional nights to have their biological needs attended to, & they could bring the kids on Sunday afternoons for a game of cricket.

Even better, no god damn Muppets on TV.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 29 September 2014 10:03:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes indeed, sounds good to me too Poirot!

JoM, even when presented with the truth, you still don't believe it, so there is really no point talking to you at all...
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 29 September 2014 10:35:38 AM
I have hired many contractors for excavation and building jobs over the years. All trades regularly have to seek workers from overseas. Why are there no women? The pay is good and the builders are happy to employ women The builders just want workers who are willing to be trained and will show up for work on time.

OK, so what about the engineers and other white collar professions associated with building where hands do not get dirty? No, once again it is men all the way. IT is the same with educational institutions obviously wasting taxpayers' dollars on women gender experts, women counsellors and a leg-up for any women who come forward, but very low interest shown.

Centrelink is emphatic that its affirmative action policies do encourage women into 'traditional' men's jobs, but there is zilch interest.

There can be no question that in those building trades and the broad range of services that support them, for instance diesel fitters, that skills and actual performance are all that count for take home pay.

It is inescapable that women and men make different choices. That does affect earning capacity. Apart from that, why is it objectionable to feminists that women might make their own choices of work and how much of themselves they want to put into work?

Feminists are the uninformed bigots where they refuse to accept the rather obvious truth that many, many women do not value the career and materialism as they the feminists do. You would think that if feminists wanted the best for women they would be celebrating the obvious fact that most women do not see work and career as the be all and and all in life.

The big problem is that government is relentlessly moving out of supporting the aged and women have high numbers there. Feminists don't see that as 'problematical' (another favourite term of the dinosaur feminists), but then as privileged educated middle class women ensconced in government and academic jobs where the super is beaut, why would they?
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 29 September 2014 11:22:08 AM
Suze, you can't make a comparison by dollars earned, as it's all about the rate of pay that matters, otherwise you're fudging the figures.

The other thing is, why is it that while doing the same job, say bar tending, a male is allowed to lift more weight than a female, yet the female wants the same rate of pay. Sorry, life doesn't work that way. Same pay means same task, exactly the same task.

In sport, women earn considerably less than men simply because they draw lower crowds, with the exception of tennis perhaps.

Movie stars are the same as I would suggest Angelina earns far more than a lessor known male star.

Same job same pay means for the same pay, a woman must do the same job.

Of cause there is also that ridiculous maternity leave, in fact, I openly admit that I would be reluctant to employ a woman now, especially if they demanded the same pay and I risk loosing them, having to hold their job, only to have them change their mind.
You try employing someone, and saying you might have a job for three months, six months, or indefinitely. It's called a reaction to an action.

I know that's sexist, but bills are not sex sensitive when running a business. They still need to be paid and employers have to get the best bang for their buck.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 29 September 2014 2:12:44 PM
So Rehctub, you are saying the official statistics are wrong and you are right?
Lol!

My niece was a barmaid and she did everything the barmen did and more.
Her boss often stated he wanted to clone her as she was his hardest worker.

No one is saying most men aren't physically stronger than most women, and are only wanting equal pay for equal work, which is obviously not happening in the private sector.
I would have thought that most men would want equal pay deals for their wives and daughters, as for their sons?
Obviously they don't want this for the dreaded 'feminists' .

By suggesting that men do the dirtiest, heaviest work, and therefore 'deserve' more pay because they can handle dirt and heavy weights, I wonder where they are in our aged care industry?
Predominantly female Aged care workers have a very dirty, heavy job, and they get paid a pittance.
At least the 'tough' boys who dominate the mining or roadwork sectors get paid well for this work.
I would suggest that most employers in these areas would not want to hire women anyway....
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 29 September 2014 2:35:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy