The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > By the right....Quick.... march!

By the right....Quick.... march!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
Some of the complaints here relate to the appearance of the police in
their black combat uniform helmets and obviously lethal automatic
weapons and body armour.
I think this is in part protective and deliberately menacing.
I wonder how many shotguns and handguns have been put down by hardened
criminals when they saw what they were up against.

Never had use their assault weapons and armored vehicle ?
Looks like a successful policy to me !
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 18 August 2014 9:09:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My observations/questions were not about gun ownership or laws here in Oz, that's an entirely different discussion IMO.
I was asking about the reasons for, and the mental/emotional effects of, the militarisation of our police, both on the police themselves and on the general public, all of which I consider negative and totally unjustified.
Surely none of the conditions prevalent in America hold true here, we don't have the racial disputes, the massive numbers and types of guns generally around, nor do we have the violent inequity that is the American way of life.
As for....
"Never had use their assault weapons and armored vehicle ?
Looks like a successful policy to me !
Posted by Bazz,"
That me reminds me of the joke about the bloke selling voodoo charms against wild elephants in Sydney. When confronted with the fact that there are no wild elephants in Sydney he replies..."See how well they work"!
Even in the gun-happy USA most police are never called upon to draw and/or use their weapon, that's an established fact, no matter what the TV/Movie industry would have you believe, and since Australia has even less occasions for weapon use one must surely wonder why our police are dressing up and arming themselves like G.I.Joe
Posted by G'dayBruce, Monday, 18 August 2014 10:13:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
the mental/emotional effects of, the militarisation of our police,
G'day Buce,
In my view the military should be far more engaged with working with Law enforcement rather than just hyper expensive war games.
Those who think that's wrong have obviously never been at the reciving end of crime & should therefore shut up big time.
Do no wrong & you'll be right & that goes for those in Law enforcement as well. We need more people to enforce decency, not fewer & if guns are required for that then so be it.
Even if, as you said they intimitate then that's ok with me.
Posted by individual, Monday, 18 August 2014 10:23:43 AM
Paul,

There is a simple "Yes-No" answer, and the answer, in my book, is "Yes".
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 18 August 2014 10:53:32 AM
....Many in society are not trained, or mentally capable to be allowed the privilege of carrying a weapon

Paul, when I was a kid, growing up in the 70's, one would be hard pressed to find a boy, in particular, who hadn't fired a gun and, the first thing responsible fathers tought their sons about guns, was that they were dangerous if used incorrectly.

So in effect, the gun laws, introduced by Howard, and strengthened by successive governments have created a world where the majority of boy now HAVE NOT fired a gun.

Better to be trained about the correct way to use one and the dangers of same in my view.

My son has been tought how to use a gun and is very safe when doing so but, knows how to use it should the need arise.

I don't have a problem with that at all.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 18 August 2014 12:45:22 PM
we need to emulate the Singaporian Government which has made the streets a very safe place compared with the hopelessly flawed legal system here that blames the victim and makes the criminal the hero ( unless of course a white male).
Posted by runner, Monday, 18 August 2014 1:09:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12