The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Hazards of Status!

The Hazards of Status!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. All
Well, I admit it. I'm angry!

I went grocery shopping this morning and was forced
to park next to a monster of a vehicle (RV).
When I had finished my shopping - I tried to back out
of my parking space and had the most frustrating time.
I had to slowly inch my way out - because cars were
zooming past and I could not see through this monstrosity
parked next to me. Here's my complaint - what is the rational
and logic of the licence regulators to allow these
hazards on the roads?

Weren't these vehicles designed for country use? They now
seem to infest our parking lots, our streets, and highways.
They are not transparent and seem to have two speeds,
slow and extra fast. They are a definite hazard on our
roads.

We accept trucks, they are a necessity. However no thanks to
some politicians who ripped up the train tracks, truck numbers
and their lack of maintenance keep growing.

Can regulations on the road be changed in the interests of
safety and remove Rvs or do we all have to elevate our
driver's seats to see through these monstrocities on
our streets?

Your thoughts please?
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 31 May 2014 6:10:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Foxy,

<<was forced to park next to a monster of a vehicle (RV).>>

Really? Who forced you?

You could instead tell the car-park owner(s) that until they stop allowing those monsters in their car-park, you will not come and shop there.

<<Can regulations on the road be changed in the interests of safety and remove Rvs>>

If I understood correctly, then this happened in a car park, which is private, not on the road. This being the case, the owners can and should restrict who is allowed to park there - but formally it's up to them.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Saturday, 31 May 2014 11:57:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

Ban this, ban that.

Ye gods you will have stroke getting angry over minor daily events like congestion in a shopping centre carpark.

Maybe you have a lot on your mind. Sometimes too such difficulties are a signal to start making some concessions for age. You could shop at a less busy time. Alternatively get someone to drop you off and collect you and the shopping from the parcel pick-up. For groceries, online shopping and delivery is a possibility.

If you are up to it, you could always reverse park. That makes leaving much easier for you. Parking sensors should assist you.

There is a sweet young blonde not 5'2" who drives a large delivery truck, a Isuzu 8700kg GVM, to the suburban shopping centre near us. Faced by a lack of a dock or large vehicle bay, she routinely reverses the vehicle between the rows of parked cars to the blind end, trolleys the food cartons in with quick dispatch and is off again for her next delivery. She is efficient and smiling and the shopkeepers say that no-one has ever complained.

Everywhere there are women driving buses, postal trucks and various short-haul vans in dense traffic and parking in awkward spots.

That is normal. Getting upset and flustered over the routine, expected trifles in a shops carpark is not. So do yourself a favour and cool it with some music next time you have to wait. Or be proactive and reverse in so you can depart quickly as truck drivers do.

Good luck.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 1 June 2014 1:09:52 AM
Foxy, as Yuyutsu says, complain to the centre managers. If enough complain THEY WILL LISTEN because most centers are under extreme pressure these days as most small retailers (the bulk of the tenants) are just hanging in there and nothing more.

BTW, I thought these RV's had been proven less safe.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 1 June 2014 7:41:58 AM
Foxy,

I share your sentiments and despair over house wives driving a juggernaut to pick up a few groceries.

I have long been a advocate of an additional tax on petrol being used to pay for a large portion of license fees and 3rd party insurance based on the principle of user pays, and that persons driving long distances in big cars need more roads and infrastructure and are a greater risk of injury. I fail to see why an owner of a small car doing 5000km p.a. pays nearly the same licensing and insurance as someone that drives a 4WD 100 000km a year.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 1 June 2014 7:59:12 AM
Foxy, please don't take a fence, stop at the gate.

In South Korea I understand one shopping center has installed extra large car spaces marked 'Women drivers only' LOL. Seriously you make a good point.
Shadow << house wives... pick up a few groceries>> Is this a reference to women's work? Tone will be proud of you with a comment like that
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 1 June 2014 9:44:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy