The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > political censorship in Australia

political censorship in Australia

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
We regularly are rightly outraged by reports of governments censoring news items. We intuitively understand that this is a feature of oppressive regimes; of course it would not happen here would it?
Well something peculiar is happening. In the last three days I have been sent links to you tube, facebook and twitter postings which purport to show that the situation in Ukraine is not quite the way it is being portrayed in the media. In every case when I clicked on those links I found that they were broken - coincidence or govt censorship?
Posted by BAYGON, Sunday, 4 May 2014 9:58:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Baygon,
I can't see why the government would censor information on Ukraine, how would they do it and what would they gain from doing so?
What's the context here? Could you give us some indication of the type of material you think is being censored because in my experience it's impossible to totally block or scrub information from the web, even if a controversial page is taken down people always take screenshots or download the information first.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 4 May 2014 11:35:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have been forwarded links to two sites (you tube videos) that purported to tell what is "really happening" in Ukraine - in both instances I was blocked - I deleted the file and thought no more about it. Until today I was sent this link via facebook:
It's not Russia that's pushed Ukraine to the brink of war | Seumas Milne
www.theguardian.com

Again it was blocked - easy to get access by going to the Guardian direct.

I suspect that the real culprit is the USA. It is a pretty stupid tactic for it only serves to lend more credibility to the claims being made. (Russia too has been rather clumsy in the way it reports on events - the same woman was interviewed in a number of different places about her opinions, this salt of the earth innocent bystander was either a time traveller or working on a film set.

Regardless of who is responsible I would want our Govt to make it clear that it does not condone any interference with free speech.
Posted by BAYGON, Sunday, 4 May 2014 11:57:58 AM
It's a layman's "myth" that Western countries live free from political censorship.

Politics has ALWAYS been censored, and our population is just too dumb to realise it. We get told what our governments *WANT* to tell us, and this is often dictated to us by our masters, the USA.

The easiest thing in the world to do, is for governments to brainwash the people. Look at what happened in Germany prior to WW2 -- a Christian nation that was utterly brainwashed. After 9/11 the USA people were brainwashed, via a tsunami of emotion, into supporting the invasion of Iraq, and accepting that the murders of dozens of thousands of innocent Iraq civilians in the initial bombing raids were just mere "collateral damage". There's thousands of other examples throughout the pages of history.

The fact is, what we know is *ONLY* what we're told.

If anyone believes we live in a free society, where all information is freely available to all, and political censorship doesn't exist, they are living in utter delusion.
Posted by Nhoj, Sunday, 4 May 2014 1:34:38 PM
If anyone believes we live in a free society, where all information is freely available to all, and political censorship doesn't exist, they are living in utter delusion.
Nhoj,
Yes & it's the likes of you who are the cause of this lamentable situation. I still recall a world before you lot evolved, it was great then. I'll never forgive Goaf for handing them the keys.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 4 May 2014 6:23:59 PM
Individual, please give up the LSD. Maybe try cocaine instead -- you'll be less delusional.
Posted by Nhoj, Sunday, 4 May 2014 7:08:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy