The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Penalty rates

Penalty rates

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
rehctub, yes, I have & still do run a small business. Yes it's hard work & we don't have any profit margins just a living. Bricklayers don't have that luxury despite what people think. I have compensated the family by working 40 hour + weeks in the private sector to meet our lifestyle & make it more, & no o/t rates (I was STAFF!!). Mind you the major reason for this business & most business incur is, dare I say!! Insurances, that is what is killing small business. Workers comp. third party, let's all go there?
I do like this forum..is there spellcheck on this site?
Posted by Lane56, Monday, 21 April 2014 5:20:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear rehctub
Not trying to have a shot at you but have you considered that all businesses that operate legally have the same problems and costs So makes for a very level playing field,Now the way I see it you have 2 choices
1. sit in office and count all your pennies and cry about the wages
this is what a bad manager does to focused on the small stuff and really most of your costs are fixed anyway,It will also lead to staff Dissatisfaction with you and result in a high turn-over if you only pay the award wage.
2.Be smart I'll only touch on what I've been able to skim from your post's, Did you end up opening over Easter ? if so did you advertise you would be open ? and advertise can mean any thing from small sign's on you tables 2 week's before announce to book early to a A frame out front of shop not full page newspaper ads ( be creative) 2. Do you value add your services i.e have a selection of wines to take home after the evening has finished or if mainly tourists souvenirs selection,I am not trying to tell you how to suck eggs in your business but think outside the box a little,Have you had anyone come in at an invitation to sample your meals ? Go to phone book find a random person then send them a letter offering 2 free meals 2 free deserts and 2 free drinks at your establishment in exchange for a review (selection from house specials of course) and do this ever few month's,Don't ask friends as they will lie to you Randoms off the street, and have a list made out of what you want reviewed from parking to service atmosphere meals every thing. Your Job in short should be to expand your business and take your good staff along for the ride at higher wages for loyalty.
Posted by Aussieboy, Tuesday, 22 April 2014 9:32:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Lane, nice to talk with someone on the same page, as until recently, I spent 35 plus years in butchery, the last 23 of self employed.

I agree that insurance is a killer, as is all compliance costs as having been self employed since 89, I have seen many changes, some good, but most bad for small business. The worst of all being unfair dismissal, whereby they tagged all employers as thugs, and provided refuge to dud workers by way of making them all but unsackable.

The result of these laws has been the casualization of the the workforce, as many today, including brickies, are either casual, or on contract. Many large firm prefer contracts so that they can one, weed out the dead wood, then re hire the good workers and two, re evaluate the situation of labor availability prior to offering deals, as they recognize that some wages and conditions are brought about by an imbalance in the worker V demand situation at the time.

It's called, you push hard enough you will get a reaction.

As for brickies, I have heard of many earning up to $800 per day, albeit a few years ago.

Butchers are among the lowest paid trades people with a trade butcher earning less than $800 for a 38 hr week.

My solution for overtime rates is as follows.
All overtime worked, over and above the 38hr week should be paid TAX FREE at normal hourly rates.

This way the better worker gets the OT if they so choose, the employer is no worse off and the employer gets paid about the same.

The government shouldn't complain either because the additional money earned, tax free, will in most cases be spent, and GST collected on each and every dollar spent, because their GST free expenses have already been paid from their usual wage.

The present increasing tax scale is typical of governments double dipping on the tax system.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 22 April 2014 9:53:55 AM
AN EXCElENt reply aussie
bUT DONT EXPECT TUBBERS TO REPLY
he only knows meat..he would never think of having a huge meat giveaway
and sell samples..special cuts..still you wrote an excellent reply/gold standard/well done

anyhow here is my current passion
no thats the past topic on the same topic..i needed to join to this one
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=6275&page=0

we need to hear you repeat that at the other threAD
OR ELSE I MUST QUOTE YOU/POINT IS REPEAT IT OFTEN
thats the game..gems like that are so rare/they surface but briefly/ammoung all the other repeated same same[i was only going to post the link
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 22 April 2014 10:11:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
UBBERS QUOTE..<<>.The result of these laws>>
IS ALWAYS THE RESULT OF INSIDERS REWRITING THEM

<<Resultant>.LAWS.. has been the visualization of the the workforce, as many today, including brickies, are either casual, or on contract.>>

CONTRACTED FOR SHORTER OR LONGER TERM
often to keep some oyt of the market due to exclusivity or other tricky franchised conditional clause

<<>.or Many large firm prefer contracts so that they can one, weed out the dead wood,..>>

contracts dont weed
they bind

take two
contracts are preferd...?..tie up talent/skill..or other skill under limited[exclusive]..licence[i own the sons so you cant sing]

<<>.[one] then re hire the good workers
and two,..re evaluate the situation of labor availability prior to offering deals,>>

ie con-tract[see i once had a house/land i sold
but the guy never wanted it/he just didn't want the other guy to have control of it

<<..as they recognize that some wages and conditions are brought about by an imbalance in the worker V demand situation at the time.>>

contracted to perform/to the letter of the contract
but no valid social contract via informed ..concent/exists.

<<..It's called, you push hard enough you will get a reaction.>>>

enough cops with guns shut up nearly everyone
sign here or go to jail/die for all we care/its us versus them

they always take the low hanging [un contracted ]..fruits
then in time they came for you..via the lie of person/that exists only within the jurisdiction of the act[only within the act/that defines the power..by statute limited

http://rss.infowars.com/20140421_Mon_Alex.mp3
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 22 April 2014 10:29:11 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aussieboy, how can a ligit business paying triple time wages over Easter compete with one that pays cash?

As for taking home a bottle of wine, sorry, that's against the law here.

Here's an example of business.

Sales, 20,000 per week. Cost of goods, $5000, wages, $7000, running costs $4000, profit $4000. Nothing wrong with that.

Now over the Easter week, let's call that $35,000.

COG $8750, RC $6000 wages $23000, profit $(2750) loss! All because of wages being paid at triple time on public holidays.

Sure, a surcharge does make some difference, but when small businesses have to compete with the likes of pubs owned by say Wollies, whereby the pokies subsidize costs, they can't compete if they charge too larger surcharge.

Even a 15% surcharge over this period would mean the employer makes about $900 total profit for the week, less than ome quarter of a normal week, with all the extra stress and hastel.

That's why so many today say it's no longer worth it.

Plumber, electricians, office workers, mechanics, the list goes on for workers who should rightfully be paid penalty rates on PH, but the likes of tourism and hospitality are not such industries, with the exception of Good Friday and Christmas day.

Now if you don't believe my numbers, simply go out and buy a caffee/restaurant, as there are plenty for sale.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 22 April 2014 10:37:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy