The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Penalty rates

Penalty rates

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
With several businesses choosing not to trade over the Easter weekend, it's quite obvious that the penalty rates are taking their toll.

So, the businesses miss out as they don't make any profit, the workers miss out because they don't have work, both of which result in less taxes paid,and the customers are inconvenienced because there are less shops, cafes etc open.

Why on earth two grown consenting adults can't come to their own arrangements, without big brother sticking their noses in is beyond comprehension.

I guess some just have to learn the hard way.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 15 April 2014 9:30:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear rehctub,

Sorry I'm going to disagree with you on this one.
Big time. If employer's want to stay open on
public holidays or after the usual working hours,
presumably for the profits they're going to make,
they should be prepared to pay their employees
their entitlements for bringing in these profits
for them. It should not all be just one-sided -
benefiting only the employer. And as for two
consenting adults being able to work out things -
that's not always as easy as you suggest, especially
when one of the adults holds all the power - and by
intimidation tries to balance things only to their
own advantage (that's why we have unions). All this
"poor employer," rot - is just that - rot. Nowadays
if you want to go into any sort of business you
have to make it attractive for people to want to work
for you - or they'll vote with their feet - and you
won't survive. By all means - it should be a "give
and take," matter but equally important to remember -
it should not be just about "take" on behalf of the
employer.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 15 April 2014 9:51:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The two consenting adults does not work for everything, and especially not wages or conditions. Never did and never will.
That is why we have red tape to protect people from that sort of situation.
Butch likes pushing his far right propaganda, a one sided outcome.
If you can't make ends meat with penalty rates, you do not trade or you do it for your good will. Business is not a compulsory profit making venture. Sometimes you have to trade to keep market share during the week.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 15 April 2014 10:40:19 AM
rehctub - I have to disagree as well, it is not a matter of "two grown consenting adults can't come to their own arrangements" simply because for 1 the employer has all the power if the other does not agree to what the employer wants just find another who will.

When there are a lot more unemployed than employed workers the power is swayed against the worker, in most situations.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 15 April 2014 10:58:39 AM
Foxy, the business can't stay open to make the profits, because the only way they can gain their share is to increase their prices, a move that would see the likes of Coles and Wollies clean up, as theynhave too many irons in the fire.

But, as I say, if the hard way is the only way t learn, then by all means, have it the hard way but, don't complain when jobs are not there to be had or, we see an even bigger increase in the casualization of our workforce, as it's simply a reaction to an action.

579, while I agree to some extent, what about those who loose their work, if not their jobs over it?

Remember the pledge made by Julia, no worker will be worse off! How can loosing hours be constituted as no worse off?
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 15 April 2014 10:59:28 AM
Having been on both sides, I can see both arguments.

Businesses are set up to make a profit on the investment, They are not there simply to provide employment.

If the business does not make a profit, there is little hope for those employed, as they will be made redundant.

When I was an employee, I loved working overtime because:-

1. I was earning extra money, and

2. I was not out spending money, so I doubly gained.

That is how I earned and saved enough capital to start my own enterprizes. Found it pretty hard going to start with, but doesn't everybody. More comfortable now.

People will not get very far if they just sit there and wait for it to happen and leisure costs you.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 15 April 2014 11:41:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy