The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Will Turnbull knife Abbott before the election

Will Turnbull knife Abbott before the election

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
It's quite possible "if" the polls show a likely Labor win. Currently the polling has Labor now at 49.5% and the Coalition at 50.5%. Basically, neck and neck.

Labor only needs to creep marginally ahead, and stay there for a few weeks, for the Coalition to be facing yet another defeat.

In such circumstances, I bet Turnbull will knife Abbott, in order to give the opposition a fighting chance.

Abbott is effective as an "opposition" leader, but just about everyone knows he hopelessly lacks people skills and is a religious dogmatist and a non negotiator and hugely unpopular. He'd be laughable as a PM. Whereas, Turnbull possesses intelligence, can negotiate at top level, is economically literate and is popular.

Turnbull is THE man.
Posted by PJack, Friday, 28 June 2013 12:06:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I dunno about that, PJack.

In, what is perhaps the forerunner to some juicy pre-election gaffes, Tony has credited Mr Turnbull with "virtually inventing the internet in this country".

High praise, indeed!

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/tony-abbott8217s-gaffe-credits-malcolm-turnbull-for-8216inventing-the-internet8217/story-fncynjr2-1226671568832

More to follow (I hope:)
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 29 June 2013 6:17:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep PJack Turnbull is the man who could assure a Rudd win.

He would lose a high percentage of LNP votes.

Turnbull if a favorite of Labour voters as he is a fair duplicate of Rudd in a blue shirt. He is therefore too disgusting for intelligent people to vote for.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 29 June 2013 8:09:13 PM
I agree with you pjack.
Turnbull is really the only bloke in the Coalition who could definitely win Govt for them.

Now Rudd is at the helm of Labor, Abbott's chances at the big job have plummeted.
I, for one, a happy with that....
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 30 June 2013 12:56:08 AM
Yes PJack I have been saying so for a long time.
Every day I see Abbott and his crew, including John Howard and his boss, Mrs Howard, chanting mindlessly I see it come closer.
This morning polls show it has just started.
IF the truth about Australia,s wanting a carbon cutting program begins to show.
Abbott clearly, will need to fear Turnbull.
For the same reason Labor changed Libs could very well see that as away of dumping mad policy,s of its puppet leader Mrs Howard,s little boy Tony.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 30 June 2013 7:21:46 AM
For some reason Turnbull is hated by the Liberal Conservative Right but loved by the Labor Conservative Right
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 30 June 2013 12:33:04 PM
Yet Pelican his polling at times out numbers both.
In fact he replacing Abbott is more likely to be as a result of Abbott committing self harm Japanese style.
He needs advice, stop the fear campaign it is no longer of use.
As Rudd drops unpopular policy his poll will rise.
Given a chance Turnbull or a loss? watch this space.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 30 June 2013 1:06:00 PM
You lefties are incredible.

Not happy with pickling bl00dy awful people for your own leaders, you want to make sure the nation has one, by wanting the Libs to have a bl00dy awful fool as leader too.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 30 June 2013 1:37:43 PM
Careful, Hasbeen,

You might give the impression that there's disunity within the Liberal ranks.

(although, Tony is now bestowing fictitious accolades upon Malcolm...apparently, according to Mr Abbott, Mr Turnbull invented the internet in Australia!)

Perhaps it's all quite cosy after all......
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 30 June 2013 1:46:49 PM
The characters of the left are doing some real low flying here trying to de-stabilise the Coalition by pushing Turnbull against Abbott. Such silly low-life tactic is to be expected from the panic-stricken hangers-on trying not to lose their grip on the handout apron for useless incompetents.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 30 June 2013 7:41:59 PM
I'm not pushing for Turnbull at this stage of the game, individual.

As it stands , Abbott may yet snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

(Wouldn't want to get in the way of such a momentous event:)
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 30 June 2013 7:50:50 PM
Even if Turnbull was more popular with those likely to vote for the coalition than he appears to be I can't see how in anything short of a major crisis the Libs could change leaders while the date for the election is in Rudds control. New leader honeymoons are not necessarily that valuable going into an election.

At the moment the Libs give the appearance of unity and stability in contrast to the stark disarray in Labors ranks. The external impression is that Labor swapped leaders to one they did not think was as good for the country because he had some chance of winning the election and the old one didn't.

I'll be very surprised if with an open election date (but possibly close), a number of fringe conservative parties in the wings looking to pick up dissatisfied voters and Abbott managing to go several years as opposition leader without imploding (despite many predicting he would implode) or making any genuinely serious gaffs that any leadership rumbling would get far in Liberal ranks before the next election.

Talk of Turnbull having a serious chance looks mostly like political opponents trying to create the tension rather than a real likely hood.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Sunday, 30 June 2013 8:15:19 PM
Hasbeen to a very much lessor case RObert.
Turnbulls sin, is he is a true Liberal.
Hasbeen you go past insulting with you *quite wrong and rude* view Labor voters are lefty,s.
You mate are not a Liberal, you may well vote for them but your views are much more extreme than their stated policy,s.
And do you understand?
You by your own words prove my point.
You damn Rudd, and us his fans.
You charge us heatedly with being ,well uninformed maybe mad, and more.
Mate rest! do you not understand the polls not my words rebutt you?
Turnbull single sin, being a true Liberal, if returned on the basis of Climate change no longer being the tool it was , he threatens my party but .
Unlike you I can not avoid the truth, thou a threat to every thing I believe in he is the only standout candidate I can find in your party.
That RObert, a greatly respected opponent, my true view not a bias.
Hasbeen if it is no crime for you to be what you are, and it surely is not .
Why brand us for being what we are.
Got to Zip! DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!
Posted by Belly, Monday, 1 July 2013 6:49:30 AM
Excellent point, Belly.

How many times does it have to be explained to Americans, for instance, that "Liberal" in Australian politics actually means "conservative".

I think you're right that Turnbull is perhaps the only senior member of the Liberal Party who comes close to being "liberal" in the true sense of the word.

That's why the likes of Hasbeen can't stand him.

It makes you wonder why the party doesn't change it's name. Whatever it started out as, it ain't that anymore.

(Although, to be fair, the same could be said for Labor)
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 1 July 2013 8:53:16 AM
Well Belly old mate, you have finally tumbled to what I've been telling you for years. I am not ANYTHING.

I have never been a Liberal, or a Labor, or an anything else voter. Unlike you, & some Liberal voters, I have no loyalty to anyone, & vote for the one I see as having the best policies for Oz at the time, &/or the best leader.

Nothing could ever make me vote for Rudd, I find him disgusting. His only interest is Rudd. He is not too bright, but very cunning. Anyone with half a brain could see that Rudd's boat people policy was to buy the Muslim vote, & what would result, even him. He just didn't care, as long as he got the vote.

I find Turnbull may be as self centered as Rudd, & would never vote for him. He certainly is as arrogant, & as likely to pursue policies detrimental to Oz, but I'm inclined to think this is because he is just too dumb to know the difference.

Which ever way, I would never vote for any party with either of them as leader.

I agree with Ludwig, we need a vote that can be terminated at 1, giving no preference, to avoid people's votes ultimately passing to someone they definitely don't want to elect.

Voting for an independent is a really stupid thing to do, as we have seen with this parliament, you have no idea of what they will do once in there.

A contest with Rudd & Turnbull as leaders would lead to the highest informal vote in history. Informal could even win some seats.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 1 July 2013 11:36:09 AM
Abbott is very bad, but Turnbell is far worse! Turnbell is very rich so he cares very little to what poor people thinks or does. He is Labour thinking, but we all hate him, because hes a really slimy man who thinks only of himself and nobody else. The best person in the Liberal party is the lady Julie Bishop a very clever lady who would be good as a Prime Minister. Very educated lady indeed.
Posted by misanthrope, Monday, 1 July 2013 2:03:54 PM
Hasbeen I have a flower! at this time of the year?
Well no frost yet usually have had a lot by now.
You and I make no impact on who is elected.
BUT the polls whisper in our ears who will, on that day, win.
You have set out to charge your wind mill sitting the wrong way around on your horse.
See polling clearly and without doubt put both you target in front of the other two.
Every chance exists,that Abbott will role himself.
His deputy leader today marched out more negativity and bluster, he followed and Australia is sick of that.
I am willing to bet unless Liberals switch Rudd is home free.
I say what I truely think, not let my bias speak for me.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 1 July 2013 2:06:17 PM
Now you are talking important things Belly. I agree it is no use worrying about an election, the majority will decide, pity they are so dumb of course.

All we can do is protect ourselves from both lots really.

Yep, as of yesterday we have had exactly our average annual rainfall, which keeps the frosts at bay. I have half a dozen daylilies flowering, all the tougher varieties, & at least a dozen hibiscus putting on a massive show.

One good thing, no matter what an election result may be, at least one of us is happy, & neither of them can stop the flowers blooming.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 1 July 2013 4:28:00 PM
The Liberals would be unlikely to change leaders now even with the poll improvement for Rudd/Labor. Generally the Libs are less inclined to air their dirty linen in public with only an occasional glimpse at the inner workings. They are also less introspective or reflective, at least not in public. This tends to indicate Turnbull may have to wait until after TA has retired.

However, politics is highly volatile and reactive, small events can lead to sudden and major changes so anything is possible.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 1 July 2013 7:28:26 PM
Perhaps pelican you are missing just one point.

Even with some of the no hopers they had after Holt, & including Fraser, they have never had anyone even half as bad as Gillard, or Rudd, or in fact Turnbull.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 2 July 2013 12:07:25 AM
Hasbeen you can think what you wish.
But you are, surely aware you are in a minority.
Sky news is doing what it and its boss does best, telling lies.
This morning, only via a link do not read trash, they brand faction Lords the winner.
Rudd,s new cabinet they willfully lie is a win for those who deposed him!
Like Windsor I use Sorbent here.
And as Rudd puts better and better policy,s up, Turnbull gets closer to removeing Abbott.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 2 July 2013 6:28:53 AM
Belly,

I note Peter van Onselen, who is a contributing editor at Sky News and the Australian, tweeted that "....despite all the resignations, the new look ministry is MUCH stronger than the old look ministry was....."
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 2 July 2013 8:47:51 AM
Thanks Poirot never saw that.
Sorry to hark back to the 1970,s but our media Barons have taken up the same weapons.
Abbott looked lost and frankly troubled mouthing his negativity today.
But Hockey looked far worse, the bloke can be forgiven for being nasty he mixes humor with it.
But consider his words.
*Labor has had 3 leaders in 6 years they are dysfunctional*
He and ABC radio interviewer let truth fly out the door, Howard followed by Nelson then Turnbull now Abbott 4 leaders! in the same time.
chuckle worthy stuff.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 2 July 2013 11:55:08 AM
Not to mention their little dance with Hewson - followed by the debacle of Downer.

The weird thing is that the ascension of Howard came out of desperation.

There was no-one else after Downer. Costello was a tad wet under the ears. Howard was the elder statesman and the most experienced, so he was installed to give stability.

Who would have predicted he would have gone on to be a success.

I remember seeing him interviewed during the Hewson/Keating election. - and he looked all but washed up.

One never knows when the gods are going to smile upon one.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 2 July 2013 12:49:02 PM
P,

Whereas KRudd is a proven failure.

Having leaked critical information, he forced a hung parliament on Juliar, and then spent 3 years undermining her ability to govern.

Now he wants a kinder parliament?

Now he wants us to believe he has changed?

Go figure.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 2 July 2013 4:37:04 PM
Over 280 successful legislations over the life of this current parliament. Many of them nation building and long term and passed by both sides of politics. And all the righties want to talk about is personalities, personalities and more personalities. They certainly DON'T ever talk about the utter LACK of fully and properly costed Abbott policies.

No sir, it's all about personalities, scandal and personal abuse from these righties. It's obvious, from the language they use.
Posted by PJack, Tuesday, 2 July 2013 10:34:22 PM
P Jack we it seems think much alike.
You however will make no ground with my sparring partner Shadow Minister.
But an open mind will be able to see Labor needed its change.
And many from our side did not agree with me.
But in truth we propped up Abbott.
Gillard had many who did not want her, some will dash to defend her, because she is a woman.
Elections are often won on little more than personality's, and lost on just the same thing.
SH will not agree but Abbott is using a standard Liberal policy, not truly telling us what he will do, be warned it would not be nice.
He however needs to put his breaks on.
He is skidding past a bill board warning him!
He confronts a politician now.
While SM will disagree it is clear, read the polls!
Every chance exists, believe me, Abbott will be rolled before the election.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 3 July 2013 6:59:17 AM
Turnbull would be the same disastrous leader that Rudd was first time around: just ask those republicans who tried to work with him during the 1998 constitutional convention.
Posted by DIS, Wednesday, 3 July 2013 9:07:52 AM
If we get Turnbull we might as well keep Rudd.
Posted by LeftOut, Wednesday, 3 July 2013 9:55:28 AM
LeftOut, if we get either of them we should have kept the liar we knew, Julia.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 3 July 2013 10:23:18 AM
Yep, OLO's the place to come for comprehensive, riveting and insightful political commentary from the right.

: )
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 3 July 2013 10:30:29 AM
Lets hope abbot has the decency and guts to resign and nominate Turnbull.
Posted by PEST, Wednesday, 3 July 2013 1:54:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poirot should you ever find a place that see,s the right provide that please let me know.
I like exploring rare things.
And lets just wait, and remember Abbott will be beaten in the election.
His negativity is hurting him.
Hope Turnbull is not to replace him, for obvious reason.
But it is quite funny, come on it is! to see us insulted for telling Liberals how to win.
The charge we are leftist loonys for understanding more than they do.
And hearing them say Rudd their biggest fear, is a dud, come it has to make you laugh.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 3 July 2013 2:13:02 PM
Belly, mate the Libs would rather lose than win with a dropkick for a leader.

That mate is the major difference between the two.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 3 July 2013 7:28:25 PM
Just caught up with Malcolm Turnbull and Annabel Crabb on Kitchen Cabinet on iview at a friends house..

I have to say that he does come across as man of discernment, credibility and depth.

I made the comment to my friends, both of whom are dyed-in-the-wool Liberal supporters, that on this forum, Turnbull was reviled as much as Labor. They were both quite taken aback by that information.

My opinion is that Tony Abbott is a useful, but mediocre pollie - and that he's still at the top of the tree in Libland because Gillard was so on the nose with voters.

If the Libs had been electorally pressured in any shape or form before now, they would have jumped over to Turnbull in a flash.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 4 July 2013 2:04:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy