The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Right to Die.

The Right to Die.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Beverley Broadbent, a Melbourne woman,
was a healthy 83 year old who
took her own life earlier this year. In an interview
she stated, "I'm not sad, I'm having a good life that
I'm enjoying right to the last minute." It seems that
she took her own life to "escape infirmity" in her old age.

Does anyone else have a problem with this scenario?

Do people have the right to die?
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 3 April 2013 10:38:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Does anyone else have a problem with this scenario?"

Implies that you do, Lexi?

Without a suggestion that she was not of sound mind, memory and understanding I accept that the decision was her's to make as I would wish others to accept mine... should I find circumstances warranted such a choice for me.

I would hope that achieving such a last decision for her was able to be not unnecessarily violent.

For now, I am content to assume and forever exercise my right to not die.
Posted by WmTrevor, Wednesday, 3 April 2013 2:32:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lexi, I expect the big question is “do we own ourselves.” What I mean by that is, are we an island?

In most cases we are not. We have usually procreated or at the least formed some interpersonal relationships. In my experience the ones we leave behind get a double whammy, one of loss and heartache and one of guilt. The question that never leaves us is “why did they do it,” even if like the sweetheart you exampled she had made her wishes clear that she feared infirmity, if she had family or close friends they will psychologically carry the burden that she had alleviated herself of.

I believe suicide in most cases is a selfish act, but in saying that, the type of pain that drives most to suicide is horribly singular, it can’t be shared with others or rationalized to oneself. I expect that there are some who are solitary and do “own themselves” because their passing would not be noted, but most leave someone to carry the guilt of “could I have done more.”

So my judgment is we all do have the right to be or not to be. But I believe most suicides have considered the ones they leave behind and consequently considered the lifelong pain it will bring to them….and they do it anyway. A selfish act of desperation from a distressed mind in many instances wants to bring the pain of loss to those around them….almost like the final winning argument and they do take some solace or satisfaction from that.
Posted by sonofgloin, Wednesday, 3 April 2013 3:01:15 PM
Dear WmT.,

Yes, I have to admit that I do have a problem
with her decision to take her own life simply
to avoid infirmity in her old age. Watching
her on television - she was vibrant, healthy,
and coherent. But I do question the mental
state of her mind - and wish that she would have
had counseling of some sort. It just seems like
such a waste.

A year ago we watched my mother-in-law, who was
on the tail-end of Alzheimer's, and in palliative-care
in a nursing home, struggle. Her mind was
substantially destroyed, she did not know where she
was or how long she had been there. She could not read,
watch television, walk alone, use a telephone or play
card games. She did not retain bladder or bowel
continence, she could not dress herself,, feed herself,
or transfer from bed to chair to bathroom.
Wanting to die would have been understandable in her case.
She was 92 years of age.

I don 't understand the case of this Melbourne woman though -
who appeared to have so much to live for.
She could have waited for a few mpre years surely.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 3 April 2013 3:07:19 PM
I believe they do, Lexi.

>>Do people have the right to die?<<

To consider any alternative would be to suggest that our lives are not our own. That we somehow owe it to others to struggle on, whatever the cost to ourselves. This would seem to me a little perverse. After all, we are obliged to take responsibility for our actions in absolutely every other aspect of our lives - why should we be denied the right to take responsibility to end our lives, should we see fit to do so?

Because I am not a religious person, I don't buy the "God's greatest gift is your life" argument either. You would have to be a pretty cruel God to impose an ocean of pain on a person, simply to prove a point, would you not.

Changing the angle of approach for a moment - would I be prepared to help someone else along the way, if I was certain that it was their absolute wish? I hope that I would. Just as I hope that those who know me well enough would do the same for me, knowing that they do so with my profoundest thanks.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 3 April 2013 3:07:58 PM
Dear SOG,

Thank You for making me see another side to this
issue. I agree with you - it was a selfish act.
But, one that she probably was entitled to make.
I still can't help but feel that she should have
sought counseling before making her final decision.
But then I consider life a gift - to be lived
to the utmost. Obviously - not everyone feels the same way.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 3 April 2013 3:14:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy