The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Punishment for Minors

Punishment for Minors

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
worldwatcher - You missed the most important thing "Giving back more authority" to the parents if a parent hits or slaps a child they can be charged with assault.

Also Parents should have to do a course or something to teach them how to properly discipline a child (when that is a tried and tested methodology) before they can have them.

Some parents are just no good.

Some parents are good but the child still turns out to be a ratbag.

This issue needs more research and study as Australia is getting more like to US every year and that is a scary thought.
Metal detectors at school gates kids going to class with knives etc.
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 3 January 2013 1:09:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When I first joined the coppers, the age for 'Criminal Capacity' was seven years and raised by Statute to eight years. That was quite some time ago.

Now with the lamentable imposition into the equation, of all our 'highly qualified' social engineers, left wing politicians and many, many others who've formed a view that kids can NEVER do any wrong. I'd not be at all surprised, that even me, at age 70 might yet prove too young, to answer a criminal charge ?

Believe me folks, some of the horrific crimes that I've seen, committed by 12,13 up to 17 years of age 'kids' of both sexes, would absolutely astonish, even confound you, with the degree of savagery and violence !

I used to shudder, both as a father and now a grandfather, at what's happening to our precious young ?

And at the risk of sounding like a really obnoxious 'know all', I DO know how to stop it ! But who's listening ?

Cheers...Sung wu.

PS: All the very best to everyone herein, for 2013.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 3 January 2013 1:33:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
another nightly event for Perth

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/women-63-and-65-caught-in-savage-gang-attack-in-lathkain-street/story-e6frg12c-1226546985030

I suspect more slaps over the wrist
Posted by runner, Thursday, 3 January 2013 1:51:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suse we have played the softly softly games for over 30 years, & young criminals continue to proliferate at an increasing rate. The viciousness of their crimes escalate as they learn they are untouchable.

Time to turn the other way, & bring out the big stick. Perhaps we could import some cane wielders from Singapore. Their system has got the desired result.

The recent case of a couple being viciously attacked with a box knife is a prime example. Out on bail for the 3Rd time, this is also the 3Rd time this kid has attacked with a knife, & now he is out again.

I, like an increasing number of folk are no longer interested in rehabilitation, or even any useless attempt at such rubbish. What we demand is these psychopaths be locked up, permanently. We want them off the streets, & out of decent peoples lives.

If you want to bleed all over this waste of space, go do so, but only in a secure facility, where your failure will only result in injury to you, & not the innocent people he likes to attack.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 3 January 2013 2:41:47 PM
Hi there RUNNER & HASBEEN...

Everything you say is correct...everything ! But you know what, nothing will change, there'll be many words uttered by our brilliant Pollies, the 'social engineers' and the many academics who advise governments, but you know and I know, nothing will change.............. nothing at all !

Cheers...A totally disillusioned Sung Wu.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 3 January 2013 3:15:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suseonline “Either children over 12 and under 18 are adults, or they aren't.
You can't have it both ways.”

But we already do.

“the age at which it is legal to drink, vote, drive, leave home and have sex”

But there isn't a uniform definition across the board.
There are differing ages at which people can do various things.

This is no doubt confusing for young people.
(“I'm mature enough to do this, but not that? Hmmm.”).

Perhaps there should be a uniform “age of maturity”, but what age?
No matter where you draw the line, it's arbitrary.
Some people will mature (mentally and physically) earlier or later than others.
And for crimes, "maturity" is what's lacking!

“I believe the serious criminally charged children should be removed from their parents and given to other respected adults who can try and instill better behaviour into them.”

A little late by then, unless they're committing murder at age 3.

Even dysfunctional families are still “family”.
Tearing messed-up kids away from their homes and local friendships could make them even worse.
If “the family” is the problem, then don't you need to "treat/counsel" the whole lot?

Cossomby, your story is serious, but reminds me of a more humourous anecdote.
Alfred Hitchcock's father once sent him to the police station (with a note) for being “naughty”.
The cops played along and (briefly) locked him in a cell. (“This is what happens to naughty boys”).

The cops would *never* do that now. Everyone is too hyper-serious and policy-constrained.
Exactly why they reacted the way they did in your story.
Posted by Shockadelic, Thursday, 3 January 2013 3:59:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12