The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Religion do we need it?

Religion do we need it?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 48
  7. 49
  8. 50
  9. Page 51
  10. 52
  11. All
Y you force me to reconsider.
I said I thought you to be intelligent.
If that is so I am quite mad.
We can stand here throwing comments at one another, in my case pretending I am following yours.
But I will not get much in the way of answers.
So what if, what if men invented every God,I think they did.
What if many no longer need the crutch.
We would still need a God,for the fragile.
Those who are unable to face death or the death of loved ones.
After all we read fairy storys to our kids.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 27 December 2012 6:02:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

You have not answered my questions regarding what you mean in your dream that all humanity be one. I do not share a similar dream and I cannot guess what's on your mind, so if you want me to understand what you want, then you need explain it to me.

<<So what if, what if men invented every God,I think they did.>>

Man cannot invent God.
Man can (and do) invent stories, even stories ABOUT gods - but God is not a story.
Whether stories are needed or not is interesting, and stories about God or gods in particular, but that would be a completely new discussion.

Stories about gods can at times be used as a religious tool, and are useful for some people's religious path, but if used just to comfort fragile people, then it is therapy, not religion.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 27 December 2012 10:06:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Y God, every one of them is a story=men invented God.
We float around in space, on a planet.
One planet, and from one source= in my view we should be one.
You surely know I do not say one town, city country.
Any thing else?

Question
IF a higher form of intelligence, from another planet landed here, and my first question.
*DO YOU HAVE A GOD* was answered yes but not yours, how would you respond? what would be the likely impacts on us.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 27 December 2012 11:42:42 AM
Dear Belly,

<<Y God, every one of them is a story=men invented God.>>

Ancient gods were made of wood and stone while the more recent ones were made of words, does it make any difference? no - both are idols, not God.

I don't worship stories.

<<We float around in space, on a planet.>>

Our bodies do.

<<One planet, and from one source= in my view we should be one.>>

Do you mean there should be only one person left on earth?
Or do you mean there should be one person who is the planet, let's call her Gaya, with many human bodies as her limbs? No individual life in individual limbs, only in Gaya?

But if so, then animals too come from the same source, so should they also be included in this one humanity?

Please explain.

<<IF a higher form of intelligence, from another planet landed here, and my first question.
*DO YOU HAVE A GOD* was answered yes but not yours, how would you respond? what would be the likely impacts on us.>>

I would then consider that extraterrestrial person an ignorant who has no clue about God. He/She/It may know much more than us about the universe and may have skills we never dreamt of, but if they think of God as something to have, then they have no clue.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 27 December 2012 12:44:42 PM
Y thanks, for some time in this thread I thought the problem was me.
You proved me wrong.
Such is the hold God, every one of them, have on us that visitor could bring about real trouble.
IF MEN had to confront that we have one life, some would be unable to take it.
IF such people land, or have, government would be reluctant to kick the legs out from under Gods, as they control many.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 27 December 2012 3:44:08 PM
Dear Belly,

<<government would be reluctant to kick the legs out from under Gods, as they control many.>>

That's funny - government controls gods, many of them... when it comes to Government (capital-G), these gods are as helpless as us...

In ancient times, a king (before that the village chief) used to have a collection of gods, some of wood, some of stone, some of iron, silver and gold, and he controlled them because they depended on him for being fed - if they misbehaved and caused a bad harvest or plague, then they would lose their meal and go hungry. If the king got really upset, he would even break them, but sometimes they were also broken by the king's enemies (as Dagon was toppled by Samson).

gods that are made of words are no different in principle than gods made of stone.

God is not made of words, or of anything else for that matter. As for the little gods, chances of an extraterrestrial visitation are very slim: more likely, Julia will break them earlier for causing global-warming or similar mischief.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 28 December 2012 6:31:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 48
  7. 49
  8. 50
  9. Page 51
  10. 52
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy