The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Unemployment benefits, I think labor's got it right.

Unemployment benefits, I think labor's got it right.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Listening to Bill Shorten today, on unemployment benefits, I think this is one policy labor has the right approach on.

He says, in reply to those struggling to survive on the dole, "we prefer to offer increased skills traing and child support",as opposed to increased payments.

It's the age old saying, "you can hand a man a fish and he will eat tonight, but teach him to fish and he will eat forever".

What I would say to Mr Shorten though, with regards to child care, this should only be available for those attending interviews or training, and, don't forget working parents, who, by their very actions are helping to support those who seek work.

Of cause they will have to watch this closely, as many are poised to loose thier jobs, should minimg continue to head south.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 21 October 2012 9:25:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I do not think unemployment is to be a problem in the next few years.
But can see Shortens point.
I too see the other side, an in coming Liberal Government, as is the case with this one, understands we must look at costs.
Cuts will come post election.
Here I find trouble, from my opponents and fellow travelers.
I have no doubt, even evidence,SOME are too comfortable on welfare.
I am not proposing we end welfare, but that we get a return for our investment.
Current moves to sell off and contract out every thing are ignorant.
Proper leadership and management can fix anything.
In areas of high long term unemployed we should make full time jobs without comes of benefit to all.
IF it works why not all unemployment to be treated this way.
In the end, however you see it, who wants to forever feed the extremely work shy?
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 21 October 2012 11:02:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In the latest unemployment figures, the number in work went up, and the number of job seekers went up also. That says there is a group of job seekers out there that are not sure if they need to work or not. Probably full time housewives, and self funded retirees.
Those sort of figures makes it hard to get an exact number of job seekers there is.
163,500 Jobs available at the end of September.
The govt is still bringing in skilled workers on special visas, for mining position's.
Posted by 579, Sunday, 21 October 2012 2:48:48 PM
Supplying housing,food, clothing and necessities along with a little cash would be better than just giving cash. To much Government money goes on booze, cigerettes and gambling. The kids are the ones who suffer.
Posted by runner, Sunday, 21 October 2012 3:00:31 PM
The govt is still bringing in skilled workers on special visas, for mining position's.
Who are you thinking of employing instead ? Australian Uni Graduates who can't hold a saw or a hammer ? Since apprenticeships were done away with we've been on a downward spiral. The only way out to get some brains back into blue collar jobs is by getting workers from overseas.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 21 October 2012 4:54:05 PM
Government money
runner,
Government money ?? What happens to our taxes ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 21 October 2012 4:55:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy