The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Low productivity and safety are linked

Low productivity and safety are linked

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Rechtub the following is not an attempt to put you down.
No one can do that better than you do.
Look at your threads, go back to the one warning us, yes warning us,the NBN may be a waste, BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT HP DUMPING WORKERS WORLD WIDE, WOULD MAKE? the NBN obsolete!
Any firm, by law must, but willingly spends on training,safety workplace and more.
Your whole theme, SOME of those who support you, is CHILDISHLY SILLY!
No one need put you down, EVERY WORD is in your own posts.
Your post history is all the evidence my charges need, your words convict you.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 21 June 2012 5:47:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While retracting nothing I have said here I can do better.
For those who do not know I am a trade unionist.
Proud to have 46 years as delegate.
And ten as official of this country's best Union.
In my last job before the union official, I was selected and trained as workplace trainer.
By my employer.
My tasks included training packages including work attendance [controlling sick leave]
And work place injury reductions.
An employer is vitally interested in cutting lost time injury's, first insurance can rise to become total out of control as lost time does.
In extreme cases the employer can be sued,by the government devisions over looking such matters and the injured workers.
A loss, quite large, can be the impact of injury's,even the lost skill and time of valued workers no longer able to work, for a period or forever.
In the matter of lost productivity being linked to any training the employers may wish?
Thinking readers may see, while I have got a little rude the thread is quite strange, in fact more than silly
Next the hatred of unions.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 21 June 2012 7:13:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unionism, cards on the table first.
I have at the same time, been a member of my union, and any other on site.
Delegate for two, and site delegate at the same time.
But first AWU always.
I condemn, now and always radical unionism.
Have always thought strike action to be a failure, by boss and unions, the last resort.
Here in this thread, I could have stepped aside, unions not mine are under attack.
My enemy till death, the extremist CFMEU is the one targeted here, but wrongly.
Very few house builders, school builders are unionists.
Re read the taunts, near bigotry, I am convinced bigotry or stupidity can be the only reason such claims are made.
Workplace training, on the job safety skills,behavior matters, EG how to behave around children in a school project.
Are an investment by the boss, in smooth running.
Many ex union officials are head hunted by those bosses to do the training.
I was picked because they thought, rightly, I wanted the true offenders targeted not every one, and that I knew better workout comes say jobs stay not go.
The filth that is the HSU, others exist, has me raging for heads on sticks.
But the hate directed at unions is no less primitive and uninformed as those people strapping bombs to their chests.
A union member can be good or bad lazy or the best worker you have.
He may live next door.
I returned to explain my heated words, as I have done before I say I am considering my future here.
Some true unfocused bigotry is being thrown around.
And heat, yes mine too, is not evidence the thrower can count without taking his/her shoes off.
Considered comment is always welcome but just a few are incapable of it.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 21 June 2012 7:31:56 AM
So correct me if I'm wrong Belly, but you consider the amount of safety inductions being carried out these days are acceptable and, more importantly, don't effect productivity.

,meanwhile, even after all this talk about safety, we still have truck drivers, in charge of 100 ton plus rigs, wearing thongs while driving. Yeh right!

We still have drug testing on job sites, why, because the billions spent on safety in the workplace havnt sunk through to some.

Now, before you go and shoot me down, yet again, I am a strong supporter of safety in the workplace. In fact, in my twenty three years as an employer, I had two TWO ONLY acidents, both were caused by employees not follow protocol, or failing to use safety gear available to them.

So to accuse me of being a poor employer, wanting to strip ALL WORKERS of entitlements, I have three words for you. GO SCREW YOURSELF!

As for the NBN, not only are we headed for mobile tech, but do you honestly think these fools can administer a project so large and not stuff it up.

If business wishes to have high speed broad band, spend your own money, not ours.
Posted by rehctub, Thursday, 21 June 2012 7:58:03 AM
rehtub,

The great E.F. Schumacher once wrote in "Small is Beautiful" on the role of "economics"....." economic performance, economic growth, economic expansion, and so forth have become the abiding interest, if not the obsession, of all modern societies. In the current vocabulary of condemnation there are few words as final and conclusive as the word "uneconomic". If an activity has been branded as uneconomic, its right to existence is not merely questioned but energetically denied. anything that is found to be an impediment to economic growth is a shameful thing, and if people cling to it, they are thought to be either saboteurs or fools. Call a thing immoral or ugly, soul destroying or a degradation of man, a peril to the peace of the world or to the well-being of future generations; as long as you have not shown it to be "uneconomic" you have not really questioned its right to exist, grow and prosper."

Right alongside that is the word "productivity" - which applies to all of the above.

One gets weary of listening to your petite bourgeois bleating - as if you're so bloody hard done by....

Did it ever occur to you that these companies aren't running a small business, that because they operate on such a large scale that they are compelled to induct in the manner they do. What works in a local butcher shop doesn't work for a mega mining operation.

I wonder if you'll ever find the heart to "stop whinging".
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 21 June 2012 8:38:18 AM
Rechtub,
You posed questions to Belly, did he think that the current levels of safety training are apprpriate and do they effect productivity.
I'm sure Belly will answer for himself, but here's my answer.
Yes, I think the current levels of safety training are entirely apprpriate. I say that because accident and death at work stats are steadily improving year on year.
And I happen to think that human life is worth more than a bit extra profit.
And.no, I do not think that productivity is adversely effected. As I've pointed out earlier, improved safety actually leads to improved productivity and reduced staff turnover.
The costs of high staff turn over swamp any safety training costs.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Thursday, 21 June 2012 9:45:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy