The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Seventh boatload of aslyum-seekers in one week - Labor's border protection collapse.

Seventh boatload of aslyum-seekers in one week - Labor's border protection collapse.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. All
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/west-australian-premier-urges-asylum-consensus/story-fn59niix-1226238596679
This link is hard to ignore.
Its is from the unchallenged most popular leader in Australia federal or state.
Some, as to be expected, will find only his short jab at Gillard worth while.
It is a crafted sorry mate, to Abbott.
His true message, from deep within conservative Australia is,
Let government govern , and if it truly is the failure, *it is not*, then the blame falls on them.
In opposition if given the power Labor acts like this, my blind combative Friends will scream the roof down?
Strange but true.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 7 January 2012 9:26:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

I've stated this previously, and I'll state it again
here:

The time is ripe to sort through the past decade's
irrational policymaking on asylum seekers -
and offer a more logical set of policies driven
by the needs of human beings
rather than political fear
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 7 January 2012 10:18:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly, Lexi

It is time for the past 4 years of hopeless policy on asylum seekers to be scrapped and a compromise to be reached based on tried and proven solutions.

I truly believe that if the coalition gave Juliar what she wanted, Labor would find some hare brained way of stuffing it up. The coalition has only this one bargaining chip to ensure that a workable compromise is reached in Australia's interests, as Labor can no longer be trusted.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 7 January 2012 11:45:49 AM
Lexi this time I disagree with you as much as SM.
I know our Friend ship is strong enough for me to be honest.
Politics, winning office, holding it, introducing changes, is no game.
It just does not happen to party's that let emotions over rule voters wants and needs.
Nice thoughts about helping poor refugees, not all are, on shore processing, lets cuddle them all.
Are dreams, drive in to some parts of my states City, feel, LEXI TRUE, hate!
This year maybe the first suicide bomb in our country, if so I can tell you it will be in my City.
NO! not all, watch csteele insult me, but know!
Australians WILL NEVER ELECT, NOT EVER, ANY PARTY NOT COMMITTED TO OF SHORE PROCESSING.
SM? find that link read it then go to the drum on ABC web site read its related story both our leaders are of little worth.
Yours worse than any in its long history.
Are you Tiny Tony Abbott? your NEGATIVITY IF NOT challenges his.
And as in his case are only remotely linked to truth.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 7 January 2012 4:01:10 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Let's look at simple logic.

Measuring distances Indonesia to Christmas Island
is 400 km.

Christmas Island to Darwin is 2,800 kms.

Darwin to Nauru is 4,200 kms.

Which makes Christmas Island to Nauru 7,000 kms.

Christmas Island to Malaysia is 1,600 kms. Which is
1,200kms from the point in Indonesia from which the
boats have departed.

Now basing the cost of flying refugees to Nauru
against the cost of flying them to Malaysia which
do you think is more economical?

Sending the boat people 1,200 kms beyond the point from
which they started in Indonesia to a country through
which many of them have already travelled surely must
be a deterrant and a lot more economical to our taxpayer
then sending them to Nauru.

Looking after them in Nauru or Malaysia will cost the
government much the same.

So what in your estimation do you think is the most
sensible solution?
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 7 January 2012 4:10:31 PM
Belly,

I read the link, and while I agree with Barnett that a compromise is needed, I don't agree that a knee jerk capitulation is the correct response. Nauru was only one component of the success of the pacific solution, the other was the TPVs.

The Malaysian solution was a dud from the start. Even ignoring that the human rights component was more extreme than the Pacific solution, the 4 year quota of 800 was filled in the first 3 months after the solution was announced.

That Juliar screwed over Indonesia with the live cattle export ban hasn't helped with Indonesia effectively turning a blind eye to the racket.

Lexi,

Sending people to Malaysia cannot be justified with a smaller travel cost, as each person sent to Malaysia costs about $400 000 to resettle 5 extra asylum seekers. And on top of this as there is nothing stopping them making the short journey back to Indonesia and getting on another boat.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 8 January 2012 2:33:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy