The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Carbon tax and why Tony Abbot's team changed their minds

Carbon tax and why Tony Abbot's team changed their minds

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All
Anthony,

"The world will absolutely fall in behind global warming action within the next couple of years. Why? because it's real and cannot be ignored much longer."

Wanna bet? They ignored it at Copenhagen.

No one has as high a tax as Australia nor are they planning to. South Korea, has no carbon tax and is only mulling an ETS. They have set a "target" of 30% below business as usual. Which considering that their emissions doubled from 1990 to 2005 is not a reduction at all.

Sorry, but Australia is way out ahead on its own.

Can you provide more than hope and wishful thinking?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 30 October 2011 4:54:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Shadow Minister,
Yes. I have patience, because the argument, and history, are coming to me.
Because, and this is what many ignore in this debate, if you win, then the world is irreparably damaged within a few generations.
I would far rather be fighting my fight than yours.
Cheers,
Anthony
http://ww.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Sunday, 30 October 2011 7:27:38 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Succinctly put, Anthonyve.
Posted by thinker 2, Monday, 31 October 2011 7:21:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Especially the "I would far rather be fighting my fight than yours", bit.
Posted by thinker 2, Monday, 31 October 2011 7:23:26 PM
Anthony,

It is nice to dream. And probably in a decade the rest of the world might move. In the interim, the Australian economy will suffer, and there will be no change in global emissions.

Reality sucks.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 5:37:34 AM
SM, "the Australian economy will suffer".

I remember similar fears based on unfounded assumptions about the GST, the carbon tax being a smaller impost.

Economists, Treasury, etc seem to be disagreeing with your assumption.

However, we will see how it pans out.
Posted by TrashcanMan, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 12:43:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy