The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tobacco Should we Ban it?

Tobacco Should we Ban it?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 25
  9. 26
  10. 27
  11. All
OUG, a load of home truths in that lot. My only response to the governments sham of taxing us supposedly to facilitate a better health outcome is bullsheiser, it is about the money and only about the money.

Why are our aboriginal children still dying at a third world rate? Can't find a way to tax that problem away it seems.
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 21 February 2011 7:33:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Since it has been shown convincingly that tobacco reduces lifetime medical costs by significantly reducing life expectancy, (possibly a solution to our aging population - sic) banning tobacco would be a move to improve the lives of citizens at large cost to the taxpayer.

As someone who had a father die from a tobacco induced protracted illness, I personally am for the ban.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 21 February 2011 7:39:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To a non-smoker it may seem a simple issue. Smoking is bad for your health, taxpayer dollars are used to treat smokers, so it should be banned.

But as with everything in life, it ain't that simple.

Many things are bad for your health, as oug points out. Where should we draw the line? Once we have been successful "banning" tobacco, what might be next? Fatty foods? Driving petrol-engined cars?

And does prohibition have its desired effect anyway?

The US tried banning the production of alcohol between 1920 and 1933. Even Canberra was dry between 1910 and 1928 - though one of the first acts of Parliament in the new location was to repeal the legislation. In both cases the reason for prohibition - "men should be with their families", and "prevention of unruly behaviour" - remained unfulfilled, with the only beneficiaries being a new breed of law-breakers.

More interestingly, discussions on how we should combat drugs, from cannabis to heroin, from e to PCP, is now gravitating to its effects, not only of the drug in question on the individual, but the widespread corruption that, as we know from past experience, criminalization inevitably entails. While the decriminalization of drug dealing is hard to contemplate, there are some pretty forceful arguments that say society will be better off with regulation, rather than prohibition.

I have no doubt that we should continue to discourage individuals from harming themselves, whether through smoking, alcohol, drugs or fatty foods. That is part of the role of a responsible society.

However, creating an entirely new class of criminal through aggressive legislation will not, in my view, produce a positive outcome for anybody.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 21 February 2011 8:11:59 AM
Of course it should be banned. How could there be any other opinion.
If was any other product they would have been rushing around the shops
taking it off the shelves.

Actually enforcing it would not be all that hard. It is a very bulky
product.
When grown the leaves are large and can be found from satellites.
When it comes into the country it comes in 40 ft containers
smelling for all the world like tobacco.

So a few would grow it and sell it on the black market but the
consumption would fall so much that it would no longer be a burden on society.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 21 February 2011 8:24:02 AM
there are many here
WHO WERE SMOKERS

as they knew ..when smoking..
they werre sick ..everyday..lol

there wasnt a day
when they didnt suck up big
on the docters time and as for beds ..they filled them up

now they have stopped smoking
..they have the money to pay extra ..for electicity and water

get it..you save two grand on not smoking
meaning govt needs to get that two grand out of you ..somehow

they reformed your evil habbit..yet your still broke

reformed smokers..never sick*..sic..lol

aint it great when you got up..from your death-bed

oh how easy to forget
but think ..did you chose to give up
or did others chose for you...

did others fill you so full of shame/blame/fear

i recall my kids lecturing me ..after my tax paid
for the schools to get propaganda..

but now ..the non-smokers lol..
are into drugs/booze and yes pills..aint moralism great

just like before they killed the jews
first they picked-on ..the mentally feeble
then the sick and old..then the homo ..then the jipsy ..then the jew

soo it will be you..! too

yes it will be based-on ..bias and lie
but thats how the game is played..

you missed it when govt broke-up ..the free-love hippy thing
with aids..via the grim-reaper..

ie your next lover ..will kill you..get it?

think why you swallow the pr spin

those who used to smoke
cant get onto no high-horse
it wasnt the smoking that was killing you..only fear..

and if it is
i paid in full..with my taxes..
its not my fault it went to the media and anti-smoking brigade

why does my smoking concern you?

i havnt seen a docter in ten years
nor been to any hospital

i dont cough up blood
and smoke like a chiminy
i pay my tax..

its my only friend
its you lot ..that are sick

i live alone.. and shall die alone
now leave me the hell alone..

go pick on fat people..
or drunks or robbers or thieves
[if you dare]
Posted by one under god, Monday, 21 February 2011 9:13:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Problem with banning substances is that it strengthens mafia riches and consumer base of dependent addicts, and therefore power.

I'm all for banning smoking in public places though, and quite happy so long as Tobacco companies are taxed enough to break even (although in many countries they are taxed a lot more, and pay further straight into public coffers. So long as this revenue does not go into politicians' salaries but medical costs and then infrastructure, it should be good.
Posted by King Hazza, Monday, 21 February 2011 10:03:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 25
  9. 26
  10. 27
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy