The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Baby Dolls

Baby Dolls

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
We mostly will have seen that TV show, the one with little girls made up to look like adults.
Strutting like,,sexy adults.
Do many share my concerns?
Can these mums and dads not know these shows are magnets for pedophiles?
What future impact on these children.
I think no child should be made to look like this and maybe some deaths can be attributed to such mums.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 25 September 2010 6:30:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yeah I agree Belly - not so much from being a magnet to pedophiles but more that children are put under pressure to be beauty queens rather than enjoy their childhood for as long as possible. Sexualisation of children is still a big issue but at least some people are talking about it.

Sadly, some parents see their children as a plaything for their own amusement and status, rather than the mental wellbeing of their children.

I remember once watching an interview with a parent of a child beauty queen and the mother talking about what a self confidence building exercise it was for her child, and when the child was interviewed she came across as nothing but anxiety driven and parrotting the self-fulfilling nonsense of her parents. It was a sad sight.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 25 September 2010 9:01:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nothing's going to discourage paedophiles from going after kids. Playgrounds, adventure parks, schools, youth groups, beaches, swimming pools etc etc, and really, in the end, all we can do is educate our kids on recognising various things that may indicate a predator and danger for them.

These kids 'beauty' contests - assuming that's what "baby dolls" are - are like what pelican said but getting rid of them isn't goingto make the world a safer place for kids. They're damaging, and don't need to be in existence, but don't stop things BECAUSE OF paedophiles.
Posted by StG, Saturday, 25 September 2010 9:14:28 AM
Belly, America comes with bells and whistles and worst of all they take themselves seriously when it comes to social climbing. Not a great combination when being viewed from a laid back place such as OZ. There is a need for America's middle class to be seen as prominent amongst their peers and if that comes from exploiting their child then so be it.

The parents will of course say that they are building a future for the child but it is the personal kudos and perhaps the cash rewards they receive that drives them to preen pluck and paint their children for public exhibition, not the future prospects of the child. American folklore about the local town beauty queen getting on the Greyhound and heading for Hollywood is a fact and the fame and riches that flow from that is the goal, the American dream, I can get by on my looks.

Belly we have eisteddfods and dancing recitals etc but the competitive nature of the events is down played with parents certainly wanting their children to do well but it is not the end of the parents or child’s life if they don't.

Fanatical footy mums and dads is about as close as we come to a group of parents who live through the achievements of their children and there is generally no money motivation in that scenario, it is a macho thing not a social or financial thing with us.
Posted by sonofgloin, Saturday, 25 September 2010 10:52:38 AM
These child beauty contests sexualise kids.

The contests themselves don't attract pedophiles ie. pedophiles don't hang around the stage door etc. But, the social and sexual attitudes that bring about the existence of these types of contests DO attract pedophiles. Pedophiles tend to go after everyday type children that they have easy and trusted access to; that's why the vast majority of pedophiles are relatives or carers of the children. This would still exist if child beauty contests didn't exist, but they sure don't help, and they tend to legitimise the sexualisation of children because they are perfectly legal.
Posted by Transki, Saturday, 25 September 2010 12:20:03 PM
I usually only turn my TV on for a little of the motor sport, & the odd news, & weather report.

I never realised they had such discerning stuff on these days. Should I turn it on more often?
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 25 September 2010 2:25:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy