The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tainted by Association

Tainted by Association

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. 13
  15. All
Dear Pelly and Cornflower,

Thanks for your well reasoned posts.

And some excellent advice.

I've done a bit more research into
NAPCAN - their mission statement,
strategy, who they are, and so
on. Everything I read dealt with the
protection of children, which seems to
be their primary concern, and their aim
appears to be - to get everyone
involved towards the prevention of child
abuse and neglect.

Their main concern as another poster pointed
out - is the children.

I didn't find anything more sinister in their
activities or organisation. And I did look.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 2 September 2010 6:57:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Foxy. Excellent posts from pelican and Cornflower.

While I think I have some understanding of Antiseptic's anger, there are more productive ways of addressing the issue than just banging on in an online forum. To his great credit, he's apparently addressing related issues properly in the Courts, but I think that a less aggressive approach would be more likely to achieve a consideration of his arguable objection to the timing of the beginning of National Child Protection Week on Father's Day.

I think it's poor timing, which is exacerbated by the fact that, when you think about it, the very issues that upset Antiseptic must have been discussed and dismissed. The timing does indeed send a symbolic message - and if it's supposed to be a positive one it doesn't seem to be working very well.

Cornflower and pelican have suggested some productive ways of doing something about Antiseptic's concerns, and I've suggested the tried and true method of getting on the local MP's case about it. The State government invests money in these kinds of events, and s/he could raise questions in parliament about if you could convince them.

Of course the kinds of suggestions we've made are probably too much for someone who's apparently running a Court action on his own steam. In which case I think it's perfectly reasonable to raise what is a valid issue here and to let off a little of that steam, IMHO.

Thanks for raising the issue, Antiseptic. I probably wouldn't have thought about it if you hadn't.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 2 September 2010 8:38:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ Morgan

Entirely reasonable summation.

I would suggest that timing has never been better than now to lobby your local MP with all the argy bargy going on in parliament right now.

I would also concur that a little less aggression would gain more support for Antiseptic, I couldn't help but notice his unprovoked insults on two posters, Suzeonline and Pynchme for comments they apparently made on another thread, comments which were preceded by a complaint that a (named!) woman from CSA had made about Antiseptic's lack of respect to her. Could be a connection there, only sayin'.

Antiseptic, you may have a legitimate grievance, however if your approach to the workers at CSA is anything like your responses to the above mentioned Suzeonline and Pynchme, well, mate, you are bringing more trouble onto yourself than you really need. I admit that I didn't have to go to the extent of dealing with the CSA, my ex and I managed our arrangements equitably after working our way through the majority of human emotions and then some.

In dealing with bureaucrats, I also have a physical advantage being tall plus I treat people with respect, a persuasive combination - people tend not to challenge me - there are some advantages in being stereotyped sometimes. To which I would like to add, everyone is stereotyped, my ex missus being very blonde and very attractive, is often assumed to be very dumb - not a good idea to make assumptions about anyone - especially her.

;)
Posted by Johnny Rotten, Friday, 3 September 2010 7:35:14 AM
Pelican:"It is a no-win situation using either of the Parent Days. "

You got that dead right. It creates connotations that detract from the campaign.

Sadly, the Child Protection topic has been polarised over the past couple of decades into a "father as abuser,mother as protector" model, which is simply not sustainable on the evidence. I believe this choice of day may well have been thought by those who chose it to be uncontroversial for that reason. They are simply unable to see past their prejudices.

Furthemore, this is not really a public awareness campaign if the NAPCAN literature is any guide.It's aimed at those already in the field and they have no problem at all with tarring fathers with the abuse brush.

The intent is to highlight the abuse and neglect that some children suffer: make that the focus, don't hijack the one day of the year that fathers are recognised by the community as a Good Thing.
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 3 September 2010 7:39:42 AM
Johnny Rotten, thanks for the critique. I'll file it with the rest of the unsolicited advice on how to run my affairs...

You see, I don't want "support", I'm quite capable of making my own case on rational grounds. I appreciate the sensible critiques from Cornflower and pelican and even CJ Morgan, although he can't help but make an attempt to "poison the well", which diminishes his contribution. If the only thing you can find to discuss about my argument is my manner, I think I'm doing a pretty fair job of it.

If you'd like to discuss my ideas about the CSA,the nursing "profession" and social workers, feel free to join in a discussion on those subjects.
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 3 September 2010 8:02:18 AM
Johnny Rotten, that was a very good post from you, and it offered an insight that others did not touch on. You raised some quite important points. How we treat others is usually how we get treated in return; you sound like a good man, despite your name, lol.
Posted by TZ52HX, Friday, 3 September 2010 12:28:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 11