The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tainted by Association

Tainted by Association

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All
Dear Antiseptic,

I read the link that you gave and nowhere
did I find any connection to father's
being tainted by association as you claim
in your opening post. What came across to
me was the concern that, "if a child revealed
they were being sexually abused only 34% said
they would call police, despite 92% of respondents
agreeing child abuse was a serious issue..."

In other words 48% of people surveyed claimed that
they would not take action. This should concern
all of us.

It concerns NAPCAN's Chief Executive
Officer, Ms Martinello who states that:

"If 33,000 Australian children are
being abused or neglected each year, everyone needs
to get involved... We have to recognise that every
Australian child is the responsibility of us all...
We all have a role to play, whether we're a parent,
a relative, a neighbour, a policy-maker, a
journalist, or an employer..."

The fact that National Child Protection Week 2010
begins on Sunday, Father's Day, and continues during
the following week should not be looked at as
finger-pointing at fathers. It could be viewed as
a reminder of the crucial importance that a Father plays
in a child's life - that of a protector.

I guess it's all subjective. Each of us views
things from our own -
different perspectives. (Glass half full...)

"God took the strength of a mountain
The majesty of a tree
The warmth of a summer sun
The calm of a quiet sea
The generous soul of nature
The comforting arm of night
The wisdom of the ages
The power of the eagle's flight
The joy of a morning in spring
The faith of a mustard seed
The patience of eternity
The depth of a family need
Then God combined these qualities
When there was nothing more to add
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so,
He called it ... Dad."

(Author Unknown).
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 1 September 2010 12:07:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy:"The fact that National Child Protection Week 2010
begins on Sunday, Father's Day, and continues during
the following week should not be looked at as
finger-pointing at fathers"

So you'd support an initiative to have this week of recognition start on Mother's Day next year, instead of Breast Cancer Awareness Week doing so?

Foxy:"I read the link that you gave and nowhere
did I find any connection to father's
being tainted by association "

The association is in the stereotyping of all fathers as abusers, which is the dominant stereotype being pushed by the many well-funded women's groups peripherally involved in the child protection industry.

If NAPCAN wants the point made about the protective effect of fathers, why didn't they make that explicit?
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 1 September 2010 12:13:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

"What came across to
me was the concern that... This should concern
all of us."

I understand your concern. I was horrified when I first read that. Then it occurred to me that NAPCAN is an organisation that is about preventing child abuse. We are all aware of organisations that feel the need to approach things creatively to justify their importance and gain maximum funding. Unfortunately that is all too common these days. At a minimum it gives them more money to advance their cause. But if you view their website it points out that the board are volunteers. That doesn't mean that the leading day to day employees aren't on $100, 000 salaries that depend on the continuing existence. (Chances are that doesn't apply and it is just put in as a worst case scenario but those types of organisations can be like that.) Naturally I consider the possibility that they aren't exceptional in regard to the creativity. Thus things could have been set up to make it seem more dramatic then a survey that you or I would do.

Then of course there is the possibility of misreporting or reporters quoting a carefully crafted statement or not fully understanding what is said. Look at the statement "clear-cut examples of child abuse for fear they might be wrong". Naturally adopting common usage we associate clear cut with not reporting. In other words people don't report child abuse that is obvious to them. However if you look at it more closely I would have thought that they are clear cut or not clear cut. How clear cut can it be to people if they don't report it for fear they might be wrong? It must refer to actual child abuse that they don't have definite knowledge of. In other words they don't report potentially correct (or potentially vexatious) suspicions unless they know the suspicions are correct.

So without knowing more I am less horrified.
Posted by mjpb, Wednesday, 1 September 2010 1:19:17 PM
Sorry, I misread that as...

'It could be viewed as
a reminder of the crucial importance that a Father plays
in a child's life - that of a predator. '

Maybe the constant barrage of these type of messages is starting to have an effect.

It's ok. I'm sure the abusive gender will survive this latest smear. It goes hand in hand with the Australia says no campaign, and the numerous 'innocent errors' used to publicise causes aimed at protecting women from men.

http://www.oneinthree.com.au/misinformation/

Lets face it, all men are guilty until they can prove somehow they don't beat their wives or abuse their kids. Hell, even if they don't, they hold some responsibility for other men who do. Any disputing of facts or calls for accuracy or fairness in dealing with these issues is blatant misogyny.

In the end, anything that helps women is ok by me regardless of the effect on men. This aspect of patriarchy is worth preserving; women and children should be protected at any cost to men.

It's not like it will affect young boys and their image of their gender and sense of self that they are destined to live under suspicion of being violent rapists and child abusers, and need to chant along loudly in this inaccurate representation in order to prove they don't have something to hide.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 1 September 2010 1:29:12 PM
Dear Antiseptic,

As I stated in my previous post, I did
not get the same message that you did,
from the link you gave us. Yes, I would
support an initiative that was about the
protection of children, at any time.

As for your question, "If NAPCAN wants the
point made by the protective effect of
fathers - why didn't they make that explicit?"
Perhaps they might feel that's a given?

Most resonable people know that abuse and
neglect of children, comes from a variety of sources,
ranging from parents, siblings,
friends, neighbours,acquaintances,
and so on.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 1 September 2010 3:06:08 PM
Foxy:"Perhaps they might feel that's a given?"

Oh dear me. So all those anti-DV campaigns targetting men were unnecessary? What about Bravehearts - give Hetty the flick? You see, what I reckon these people think is a "given" is that putting this thing on a day dedicated to fathers will associate fathers in general with the stigma of being child abusers. It's very simple semiotics.

Foxy:"Yes, I would
support an initiative that was about the
protection of children, at any time"

So would I, on any other day but Father's Day (or Mother's Day). Parents face a huge amount of pressure in this culture, whether separated or as a couple. Why bring this sort of grubbiness into what is meant to be a day of celebration of their contributions?
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 1 September 2010 4:30:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy