The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Alcohol & gambling: more harm than good?

Alcohol & gambling: more harm than good?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
I would be interested in people’s responses to the following statements and questions:

If Australians willingly gave up alcohol (and other drugs) and gambling then society as a whole, along with these individuals, would be better off.

While there may be some benefits to be derived from gambling and alcohol, these benefits are outweighed be the harm.

Are we as a society addicted to alcohol and gambling?

If not, then does this mean most people would disagree with the above statements?
Posted by grateful, Friday, 27 August 2010 10:48:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think gambling and alcohol/other mood altering substances have been a part of human society since antiquity. I think that shows that there is some need or benefit in such things. But as in a lot of what we do too much of a good thing is bad. Many times very bad.

Past history has shown banning such things does not work. Prohibition, the war on drugs, SP bookies etc etc etc have all made things much much worse.
On the other hand as, you alluded to, todays almost complete liberalisation of at least alcohol and gambling is also a complete failure.

I wonder whether it might not be in our interests to hand control of such industries to the government. We all know how useless governments are at promotion and marketing let alone innovation and in the context of these potentially damaging facets of society that might be a good thing.

It wouldnt be banning them, which never works, but pubs and gambling dens would be staid and utilitarian government departments and not prone to(not capable of hahaha)trying to increase their business and suck ever more people to their doom the way private companies do. I would also rather see profits (and the taxes) going into general revenue to provide the proper infrastructure for our society rather than into already bloated pockets and bank accounts of the current exploiters..oops I mean owners.

If there was a bit more of that and a bit less of slaving for the man maybe a few less people would want to escape into alcohol or drugs or other self destructions in the first place.
Posted by mikk, Friday, 27 August 2010 11:41:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of course we would be better off, but that's not saying much. We could also say we would be better off not sleeping with women except for procreation in the confines of marriage, not eating as much salt as we currently do, eating less red meat, eating less chocolate, eating less generally, not listening to loud music (eardrum damage) and the list goes on...

Yes of course we are addicted to many things, especially life and things that are fun. Fun things often involve an element of risk (and reward).

Your point?
Posted by Bugsy, Saturday, 28 August 2010 12:23:13 AM
No, I don't believe banning alcohol and gambling would be of much benefit to society. There would only be a much murkier underground, black market kind of practice of these activities taken up instead.

What I would like to see banned is the legal selling of any tobacco products in this country. I realise we could also have the black market scenario here too, but there is no 'safe' level of tobacco use, whereas there are safe levels of alcohol use or gambling.
Posted by suzeonline, Saturday, 28 August 2010 1:21:48 AM
<<No, I don't believe banning alcohol and gambling would be of much benefit to society. There would only be a much murkier underground, black market kind of practice of these activities taken up instead.
>>

Hi suzanonline,
Banning alcohol and gambling when people are not willing to abstain would have these effects. But the first statement raised the issue as to whether there would be benefit IF Australians gave up willingly, so avoiding the issues you raised.

<<If Australians willingly gave up alcohol (and other drugs) and gambling then society as a whole, along with these individuals, would be better off.>>

The benefits are not too difficult to think of: low health costs, less violence, crime, domestic violence etc. The costs? Probably very minor relative to the benefits.

So the major barrier to reaping these benefits would be the fact that Australians are not willing to give up alcohol and gambling, because this would mean (as you say) the emergence of an underground economy (e.g.US Prohibition).

So are we as a society addicted to alcohol and gambling? An addict knows that it is in their best interests to stop, but continues with the same detrimental behaviour. Is that a fair description of our society?
Posted by grateful, Saturday, 28 August 2010 5:33:37 AM
Hi all,
The above question is addressed to everyone not just suze.

Bugsy and Mikk, do you see my point?

We as a society know that the benefits of giving up alcohol and gambling are overwhelming compared to any potential costs, but we still indulge in these activities.

Isn't this behaviour similar to that of an addict, or more generally a person lacking in self-control:

We as a society know that it is in our best interests to stop, but we continue with the same detrimental behaviour?
Posted by grateful, Saturday, 28 August 2010 5:49:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy