The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Alcohol & gambling: more harm than good?

Alcohol & gambling: more harm than good?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
Heh, heh, I lost it totally: "and went and went an had a beer too."

Must have been that Kylie Mole skit I was watching with the teens. Goodness, I guess we will have to give that up too when the scowling fun police in beards and black kick open the door.

Just so I can advise my daughter and her friends, is it possible to watch a portable DVD player under those voluminous blue or black chaff bags they use for the most dangerous half of their society? Er, and would there be power points available to surreptitiously charge same? Just getting things right before the roll-in of Sharia Law.
Posted by Cornflower, Saturday, 28 August 2010 2:50:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So i guess it be accurate to say that most people would not be willing to forgo alcohol and gambling despite the costs.

Pericles write "If it were possible - i.e., every individual independently chooses neither to drink nor to gamble - it would already have happened. The fact that they haven't, indicates that some form of coercion would be necessary."

It has happen for about 1/4 of the world population, without coercion.

And Pericles and Cornflower. I'm born and bred Australian so please stop refering to me as some alien that is taking advantage of your hospitality. If i have a view about what is good for our society, i'm entitled to it even if it makes you feel a bit uncomfortabnle. I would have prefered you addressed the post with reason rather abuse and inuendo
Posted by grateful, Saturday, 28 August 2010 3:19:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
grateful, I don't see any abuse or innuendo evident in Pericles' or Cornflower's posts in this thread. What I do see is that your transparently disingenuous 'bait and switch' strategy has failed miserably. Normally it's Christian godbotherers who employ such dishonesty at OLO, but it's not really surprising to see it coming from a Muslim apologist.

If you want to proselytise your religion, why not do so honestly?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 28 August 2010 3:31:43 PM
<<grateful, I don't see any abuse or innuendo evident in Pericles' or Cornflower's posts in this thread. What I do see is that your transparently disingenuous 'bait and switch' strategy has failed miserably. Normally it's Christian godbotherers who employ such dishonesty at OLO, but it's not really surprising to see it coming from a Muslim apologist.

If you want to proselytise your religion, why not do so honestly?>>

OK fine i'm not only sneaky, i'm also dishonest. Obviously, the questions have touched a raw nerve.

Like i said, i am entitled to my views about what is good for our society. If you think they are wrong, then they are there to be challenged. You guys obviously feel more confortable tackling the man rather than the ball.

enjoy!
Posted by grateful, Saturday, 28 August 2010 3:47:15 PM
And I did assume we were talking about harm caused by excess. A teaspoon of white sugar in my tea (white sugar is known as white poison), a latte or 2 or sometimes even three per day and if I don't I'll get a headache the next day so I'm sure I'm willingly addicted to this, white bread if I feel like it, creamy cholesterol unfriendly cheese when it takes my fancy, I always eat butter because I like the taste and never limit myself, I have been known to take the occasional cigarette although rarely these days, a little chocolate usually every day because I like it, good wine because I detest the cheap stuff and usually once per week but depending on what happens, sometimes even two or three - oh and gotta get a quickpick on Saturdays because of the little buzz I get when I think about winning. Does this make me a sinner and a danger to society, or to myself? So I did assume we were talking about harm caused by excess - not taking the life out of the enjoyment of living. I've never liked the taste of beer, but I might have a glass of delicious champagne tonight, brut and methode champagnois of course.
Posted by dotto, Saturday, 28 August 2010 4:09:52 PM
You're going to hell, dotto. Mind you, it sounds very pleasant... see you there!
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 28 August 2010 4:20:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All