The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Forum Rage

Forum Rage

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. All
The stated modus operandi of some is so logically flawed, as to be equivalent to throwing someone overboard just to see their fear. Frankly, that attitude/behaviour says more about the protagonist than the victim (target).

Because, every one has flaws and foibles, that is a no brainer, a given. It has been said said before, that one doesn't need artificial means to see them, merely perceptiveness aka the ability to see beyond one's own needs/flawed views.

Based on the rules attack what's being said not the individual, I think makes it clear that the primary point of OLO is *contributing* views, understanding, solutions etc.as a whole.
What OLO isn't, (thinking about the rules an what they mean/intended) is a selfish "look at me" poke fun at others regardless of the individual from some behind some facade confected humour, which at the end of the day is self amusement at the cost of others and contributes nothing.

Say what you will about me, my idiosyncratically (overly) analytical nature or others' unique ways, most are prepared to *contribute* as a PART of the community not separate from.

True, some do so from an overly simplistic perspective for my taste, (note Houellebecq's comment about everybody needing heroes...) but that's people, all different etc.

Your views on family law etc are well know the problem to me is that they tend to be often binary consequentially the same argument/logic also is readily applicable to other related issues thus allowing you to be readily pidgeon holed on a range of quasi related subjects.
NB. It may not be your perspective that is the infection rather the readers perspective of what you say is the problem.
That certainly applies to me see my examples
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 3 March 2010 9:34:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't think I've ever been "enraged" or even made angry by anything I've read at OLO. Sometimes I'm bemused at the nonsense some people write, or even appalled at the attitudes they express, or slightly irritated by the repetitive bleating that comes from some. Mostly, however, I'm amused by comments that are clearly intended to insult or bully.

On the other hand, I seem to regularly get up the noses of (if not enrage) a few of those who disagree with my enlightened view of the world :) I acknowledge that I sometimes poke fun at the worst bigots, and can be quite rude to those who repeatedly post hateful, bullying or idiotic comments - or who set out out to insult me because they can't counter my invariably well-written and reasoned arguments :P

My approach to conversations here is similar to that which I employ at dinner parties rather than, say, the pub. That is, I am mostly polite and considerate, but as the dialogue descends in quality, I'm quite capable of putting idiots and boofheads in their place.

Forum rage? Pah - it's not that important. Mind you, I have much the same attitude to road rage, which is apparently becoming quite a problem in the cities. I put it down to a general decline in civility and good manners in contemporary society.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 3 March 2010 9:45:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have to say I spend far too much time on this forum when I could be doing other more useful things, but like a lot of others I guess, I get sucked in.
There is no doubt that the likes of Morgan and Fractelle always have interesting points of view.......maybe because they often reflect my own. However they always take the time to write well and are articulate without being loquacious. I too tend to skip the more rabid self opinionated posters who appear to me to be so prejudiced as to not be worth worrying about. By and large I find it quite a good forum. I just need to keep away from it more often !
Posted by snake, Wednesday, 3 March 2010 12:06:43 PM
Sometimes points can be lost in delivery but all in all most posters on OLO seem to stick to reasoned debate for the most part.

We could all be more self-aware.

Houlley why do you treat OLO as some sort of test tube experiment adding bits and pieces to invite a reaction?
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 3 March 2010 1:16:40 PM
Hihi!

Pontificator!

You give me so much to work with... oh, you're just a joy.

I just get so excited by posts like that, so full of self righteous condemnation and indignation.

'logically flawed'
Haha. Only through your narrow perspective. How come it riles you so much that someone can honestly say they have no intention or interest in playing by your rules. Are you jealous of the freedom of one who is happy? Are you so intimidated by the thought of someone renouncing table manners? What kind of father did you have?

Shed your clothes and run free man. Liberate yourself, and then you may smile in contentment.

'that attitude/behaviour says more about the protagonist than the victim '

Yes it does Hyacinth, it says I've got your number. Why do you object so much to the workings of your ego being put on display. If everyone has flaws and foibles, what's so scary about 'luxuriating' in them? Maybe it's because you're a counsellor, someone who earns money from supposedly being able to dissect such things, but being shown to be so helpless and stunted by a simple holding up of a mirror.

'as a PART of the community not separate from. '

I'm part of the community, I just jeer at the more pretentious pontificating and take more interest in the group dynamics. Every court needs a jester.

'self amusement at the cost of others'

What is the 'cost' to others, and if it is so costly why do they keep coming back for more?

'What OLO isn't...'
The objective reality refutes your delusions about what OLO.

'selfish'?

Ah, the confirmation. So you're posting your thoughts on an anonymous forum for altruistic reasons; To give people the wonderful gift of your perspective. With every post you prove everything I've always said about you pompouficator.

pelican,

'Houlley why do you treat OLO as some sort of test tube experiment adding bits and pieces to invite a reaction?'

Because it's fun. See above. I'm just a sociopath aided and abetted by so many on here who take themselves so seriously.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 3 March 2010 1:36:05 PM
Come on anti, it took a lot of hard work.
From you
To get me not liking you much.
We once stood shoulder to shoulder in fair go for fathers type threads.
But I left after the real you emerged, nothing to do with small groups, promise I would walk past you in any crowd.
Now Howler, well I knew a bloke like you, people called him General.
Unfortunately his full name was General, above average, Knowledge.
Here we are in a thread about rage acting just as Aussies do in RL.
I see no rage, I do see Henny Penny syndrome, every day and here now.
Stirring the one we know takes the baits.
The sky is falling stuff
We need not take the birch to ourselves here what we do here is what most of us do in RL.
I am however not so sure we need to cringe in a corner for having views, any of them.
We may not all come for the conversation but tell me then why do we come?
Apart from howler to insult and provoking to be anti me to heavens to Betsy be a foot soldier.
Would not be dead for quids some of those who give me a bit over that are the very ones who know less about life than they will ever understand.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 3 March 2010 4:22:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17