The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > the racing industry...100 million in grants..sign of unity?

the racing industry...100 million in grants..sign of unity?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
in reading the sunday pap-ers...i noted this gem..[from darrell giles]

THE STATE government is considering a 100 million grant..[sorry the word used is...injection...into the qld racing industry...[the united bodies will meet..the treasuror..next month]

so the issue that arises...is/are..these grants...govt is gifting to these sporting bodies...what govt was set up to do?

i seem to recall millions gifted to footy too...and that failed formula racing mob..at the gold coast...and many other grants made...to others beloved by our leaders...these must be adding up..big time..

how much of these gifts..[sorry ..injections...are we giving away to these fringe players...as torts of office...?

how much of these revenues..being doled out are the straw..that sees us giving way our resources on 100 year leases?

...that see us paying double for water/electricity/car rego/insurance

they are all questions...that in light of the state excess...either need to be accounted...!

or distracted from...by revenue yet more compulsory/revenue/raising..from speed fines...that is being revealed in the media....and other increases in govt charges...yet never discussing the cause..of us needing to sell off our state assets

is this something..we can change by voting for the other...or is it so ingrained..via the public service sukking..its people dry?...

just so govt larges can put on woodford/like destractions..grant's../sorry injections..while the states cofferes are burning ever bigger/holes..into our/your pockets

ok my question is

how can these tort/lurks be cut off at the knees
MADE TO PAY THEIR OWN WAY...

im sick of the revenue raising...WHAT CAN I DO... TO END THIS?
do you even care..or notice?

would signing this..change anything
http://www.qldnotforsale.org.au/
or are unions so yesterday...we have no choice...as well as no voice
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 23 December 2009 10:33:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree OUG.

We hear all sorts of whingeing when money is allocated to welfare but any 'injection' of funds into sport or corporate welfare is largely ingnored.

Sport is certainly one area the government should not be involved - there are many more important sectors that need these injections of funds.

Just another non-essential snout in the trough.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 23 December 2009 11:19:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't know how you can say it's another non essential expense
What is racing worth to the state. Gambling is big business.
You need figures to judge weather it is warranted or not.
No different to any other big event, or don't have big events.
Govt; is the only one that can back up big events.
Posted by Desmond, Wednesday, 23 December 2009 11:53:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Desmond
Gambling is big business but it also costs a great deal in social terms. Weighing it up - I am not sure it is really worth it.

It is trading on human misery and while in a free society we might not be able to ban gambling (nor would we want to totally) but we certainly should not be funding or exploiting it. IMO anyway.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 23 December 2009 12:01:34 PM
I may well be wrong, but think I am not.
NSW sold its TAB betting shops years ago.
Part of that deal was an amount of returns has to go back to its birth place, racing.
That was how it was when it was publicly owned that remains how it is now.
Not theft from the public purse, in fact the very opposite, far more goes into general revenue than is returned to the sports it is gambled on.
Other sports benefit too.
Knowing the truth, and seeing how far from it OUG is, further entrenches my view reality plays little roll in some of his ideas.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 23 December 2009 2:58:01 PM
I wast one more post but it is worth highlighting this thread is a fraud, totally wrong.
Yet it attracted some who slammed government based on it, no need exists to slam the NSW government ,they do that themselves.
Given racing via the sale of the TAB, and continuing tax's is returning to general revenue more than ever, I again highlight, just how wrong this thread got it.
And ask we all consider some truly questionable claims being made on other subjects.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 24 December 2009 4:24:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy