The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A true test for Turnbull, perhaps his last.

A true test for Turnbull, perhaps his last.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All
“…one must judge people on what's on the inside that comes out in their actions.”

Well, one SHOULD judge people on this basis, but many don’t. In fact, the vast majority of us don’t, because we don’t really know what most politicians, or people that we are judging, have actually achieved, whereas we do a get feeling for their personalities and alleged shortcomings from the media.

“You're looking at it from the outside in.”

Of course I am, RobP.

“The political media is often only speculating based on impression rather than fact which is why you have to take a lot of what they say with a grain of salt.”

Yes.

“Often they ignore people's good and solid works behind the scenes…”

Absolutely! So if we everyday people don’t get to hear about a person’s good work, then how can we judge them accordingly?

“Having Abbott as leader may work for the Libs in a perverse sort of way…”

You could well be right. Someone who is less principled than Turnbull, perhaps less logical in his decisions, more erratic or whatever the case may be, could well prove to be more effective. Sad, but that’s often reality. Principled people who stick to the rules are not well thought of in many instances.

I’ve certainly felt this very strongly indeed in my job, having worked for the same department for 21 years! In fact, I can feel a new general thread gelling in my head on this subject (:>|

Um, where was I. Oh yeah – If Abbott had the same approach to the health of the country as he has to his own health and fitness, then he and the Libs would certainly be on the right track. I guess we’ll see how it pans out.
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 5 December 2009 9:07:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>So if we everyday people don’t get to hear about a person’s good work, then how can we judge them accordingly?<<

Fair point. The media's got to pick up its act and stop the populist rubbish.

>>I’ve certainly felt this very strongly indeed in my job, having worked for the same department for 21 years! In fact, I can feel a new general thread gelling in my head on this subject.<<

Yep. The do-as-I-say-don't-do-as-I-do mentality rules supreme in the PS even by many managers that don't like or approve of it. That's how strong the tide is running. Hypocrisy as far as the eye can see. The public service is pretty close to being totally corrupted. Now there's something Rudd might like to have a look at fixing.
Posted by RobP, Sunday, 6 December 2009 1:09:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To yos all,
The waiting is almost over. All will be revealed. Left or right. which way to go. Dur! the battle was fought and won on a lonely hill 2000 years ago. It is only show to keep the troops entertained. Fear, faith in satin. or courage,faith in the one true God. Left or right which choice will I make. What is truth its TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO complecated. Remember mum always said love fixes every thing. What is love mum is it that funny feeling when tom and harry get together gee I don't know tooooooooo hard I can't see which way to go.
Posted by Richie 10, Wednesday, 9 December 2009 1:50:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy