The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The demise of Plain English

The demise of Plain English

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Well I am going to leave you people with it for a while. I am off for about five weeks so play nice. :)
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 14 October 2009 9:25:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fractelle and all

Peter's answer means "we're still working out our response"
The logical subtext is "we're between a rock and a hard place on this" i.e. "It is politically too hard"
To be fair how long would he last as a shadow minister (or be elected let alone endorsed as the Liberal Candidate) if he answered as "it's politically too hard....on one hand we'd lose the support of business which is vital for Victoria and on the other the unions would shred us....the political reality is were on a hiding to nothing on this one."

Sure a 'minority' ie some of the thinkers would appreciate the 'straight forward language' but the majority of 'his' electors wouldn't.
Ask your self then where is the real problem here?
Two answers.
- The party structure that is about party power rather than the long term good of Aust.

- The short term selfish perspective of the population....my job/comfort zone is more important.

NB the Labor would be in the same boat.

Neither am I defending his position nor the efficacy system. I have stated several times that the party system is, from a public benefit objective both very selective in its beneficiaries or near dysfunctional.

Conclusion :- superficial analysis therefore instant solutions or obfuscation. Changing the language used is a bit like aspirin for a brain tumour....

The question then becomes what is the practical alternative?

On OLO this level of analysis is pontificating to deep isn't it
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 15 October 2009 8:19:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Examinator

I had already deduced the meaning behind Peter Batchelor's words for myself. But I am pleased you spent some time thinking about it.

BTW Peter Batchelor IS Labor - not the SHADOW minister, he IS the Minister for Energy for the Victorian Labor government and I doubt he will ever be trying out for a Liberal selection any time soon.

The LABOR state government is completely out of touch with climate and sustainability issues. They are proceeding with a desal plant and piping water from regional Victoria to Melbourne, BEFORE implementing any other water catchment and recycling schemes. Of course with desal and piped projects private enterprise can charge for water, whereas smaller water catchments would only benefit small business and the hoi polloi such as you and I.

As for being between a rock and hard place - they are too beholden to the coal and other big business and, unfortunately for the long term benefit of the state they govern; too gutless. They will lose the next election (having simply been in power too long and not achieved a lot) to be replaced by a Lib coalition who are even further entrenched with big business.

And I have managed to work this out all by myself.

Pelican

Enjoy your time away, after another little disagreement with OLO's CEO about a post I made which was deleted, which, like the last one he deleted was on topic, relevant and courteous, however GY claims to be in fear of litigation regarding claims made by another poster, whose claims are actually common knowledge throughout the media and internet - but when you're the boss you can do what you like.

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=9484&page=0#152624
Posted by Fractelle, Thursday, 15 October 2009 10:28:51 AM
Fractelle

Sorry no condescension intended I was responding to the W..?

How did I confuse him with a lib? Not yet back into swing with Vic politics!

PS I was making the point that the poli is driven not led and who drives them....ultimately we (the collective )voters do, to all.

It does still leave the question I posed open.
What is a PRACTICAL alternative? Given that most people don't want to think.
PS. the last line of the post was a preemptive strike at criticism of me from others who read my posts with preconceptions and poison PCs at the ready.
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 15 October 2009 10:57:34 AM
censure is a funny thing
recall sadam insane...and the many/many other security agency shrills [oppressing their own people globally]

here is one more
hope musscle leanie...meanie dont sue me
noting the recent[yesterdays purge...not rep[orted on your ...lol..media/news agencies...re stalins kids suing for a news paper printing TRUTH

well court threw their complaints out
because they were true

MI5 Money Got Mussolini Started in Politics
Text size
Tom Kington
The Guardian
October 13, 2009

History remembers Benito Mussolini..as a founder member of the original Axis of Evil,..the Italian dictator who ruled his country with fear...and forged a disastrous alliance with Nazi Germany.

But..a previously...unknown area...*.lol....of Il Duce’s CV has come to light:..his..brief career..as a British agent.

Archived documents have revealed that Mussolini got his start in politics in 1917 with the help of a £100 weekly wage from MI5.

For the British intelligence agency, it must have seemed like a good investment. Mussolini, then a 34-year-old journalist,..was not just willing to ensure Italy continued to fight alongside the allies in the first world war by publishing propaganda in his paper.

He was also willing to send in the boys to “persuade” peace protesters to stay at home.

Mussolini’s payments were authorised by Sir Samuel Hoare, an MP and MI5’s man in Rome, who ran a staff of 100 British intelligence officers in Italy at the time.

Read entire article
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/13/benito-mussolini-recruited-mi5-italy
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 15 October 2009 11:26:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
not read latest Watson book but it seems that unless he changes his menu somewhat he will end up doing the full circle that he is so repetitious being Politically UNCorrect he will become PC.

So it gave me a great buzz [you might say I was boooooowied] by a very very rare bit of satire from the best in the business on Weasel Words, ie the Americans themselves

This is a dig at the way the USA govt "sanitised" homosexuals [inventing the word "gay"] when after doing a SWOT Analysis it was realised that infecting half of Africa with AIDS was a good and NOT bad thing, given the Trillions made by drug industry [aka Amer govt] and the fact that in next Oil War it will be simple to take African oil if everyone is dead.

I will post this now and go look for the url
Posted by Divorce Doctor, Thursday, 15 October 2009 6:50:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy