The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The demise of Plain English

The demise of Plain English

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
the goals of the commie manifesto...lie at the root of this buzz speak..the state licences its oficials to do that otherwise illegal..[to its servants]..not its people

see govt wasnt formed to regulate...its people...but to regulate those doing business..with its people...thus we see the state licence permissions..regulate via licencing..but things went astray in the 30's...govt regulation of its currencies failed...and the worlds banks went broke

overnight everything changed...govts no longer issued its own money...this was now done by the banruptsy admin[bankers]..govt overnight had to lend from the bankers...under ursury..with intrest

overnight the new rules of bankruptsy..changed the rules of govt...it is no co-incidence we are run by govt filled with lawyer's...licenced by the state..over night we had income tax apply to wages...when true income..is gain made by no value adding..so buzz words were created

the many headed beast[hydra..took over running govt...in time people got licence to do many things...but in applying for licence..join the servant...see..before..those working for the state[..and those with title's..ie licence from the state..were excluded from election

but over night we became mr../a licence/rank in the forces..thus all subject to licencing...licence..is permission...to do that...OTHERWISE ILLEGAL...state is a licener of illegal stuff..if its illegal...how come govt can selectivly permit licence...was solely to protect the public weal

now it oppresses the public weal..in fact feeds off the public trough..treats its people like collateral...takes our promises...and creates credit..

[try getting any credit without you signing oath...in blue/black ink..without applying..apply means beg...a begger is presumed to know for what he begs..

but in taking oath...a thing jesus advised us..not to do...matthew 5;33-37..25;16-25...revealing..its little wonder..the state supports removing religion...athiesm..

its just the latest trick..its em-ploying spin..to further enslave its own people..by hiding the truth..from its people..[it now treats as a cash cow...via buzz speak/spin

we are living in coorperate hell...by applying we have become subject to govt taxation/govt licence..govt deception...run by lawyers..doing illegal things...via licence and rego..you get permission to use...have use off..but not ever own...anything you registered

you dont own your kids nor your home/car...its all allowed/per-mitted use...to hide it needs constant spin..stop begging govt..were under admiralty law...incorperation/lien
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 8:20:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I fully concur with Pelican's and RobP's experiences of the manipulation of language within the public service.

"value added" - justification for change for change's sake
"transparent process" - 'I have covered my arse and there is nothing you can do about it'.
"key selection criteria" - if you can speak the lingo you will get the position, has nothing to do with ability to perform the work.
"in the fullness of time" - boss-speak for 'I have the power and will wield it if and when it suits me'.

This is just off the top of my head - I don't really want to dwell too long on the B/S I encountered while working in the P/S. I would also suggest that similar doublespeak occurs within any large organisation, it does not have to be confined to the public sector.

For some entertaining, if disturbing reading, check out the following:

http://webserve.govst.edu/pa/Introduction/doublespeak_awards.htm
Posted by Fractelle, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 9:27:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fractelle, Pelican,Rob

Challenge? not really folk more along the line that pointing out that there is more to the phenomenon than the undeniable cynical side.

Sadly private enterprise suffers the same symptoms . The PS has *more* protective(?) rules to hide behind..

I wasn't meaning to convey either an attack or deny that “buzz words” Likewise rules (laws) aren't (ab)used by those for their self interest. After all humans are humans.

In the simplest terms *I* can , Where do you draw the line on words and phrases?
Would make any real difference ?

I also wonder if what you are experiencing is the concoction of problems. i.e.
'Paul syndrome'= people who have been promoted beyond their competence (seniority).

"they tend to become entities unto themselves and develop as their primary purpose their own longevity and growth". *Practices are created to help run the organisation and people employed* , without a counter influence the consequence is top heavy management and bloated staff numbers ergo law of diminishing returns. (galloping inertia [GI])

In this context the management try to re-motivate staff, increase efficiency by introducing attitudinal changes , goals/objectives etc. There is a lot more to it but GI tends to resist change and is undermined by self interest, think 'Chinese whispers' on speed.

In essence it isn't the language so much as a combination of individuals and the organisation as an entity of its own.
Therefore merely changing the language used will change little.

I am always reminded of the blind man who having first encountered an elephant held the tail and declared that the beast was thin and ropey.

“Superficial /generalising reasoning provide neither light nor understanding just the fog of ignorance and prejudice..... the only fruit that grows there is unhappiness and resentment.” Wise saying.

No pontificating/prejudice intended just a contribution to exercise the synapses. As always
Posted by examinator, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 5:06:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
look, I'm afraid you have all fallen at the first hurdle. In 2009, it is essential that every sentence be prefaced with the word 'look'. Failure to do so may cause the listener to not notice that you aren't that interesting.
Look UOG, I am glad that you love english. Perhaps that will encourage you to try it some day.
Posted by Grim, Tuesday, 13 October 2009 9:05:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ha ha - well said Grim. The preface "you know" is also a favoured one.

Fractelle
I agree it is not limited to the public sector.

I started this topic because I saw Kerry O'Brien's interview with Watson and was thankful someone had written a book about the nature of language in corporate life.

As you get older it is quite an insult to the intelligence when officers put these 'weasel' words together often in the wrong context, just in order to be accepted.

It is easy to be cynical about the public service and, like lawyers, the service ia an easy target but that does not mean we shouldn't pull them up and strive for transparent government even if it might be a pipe dream.
:)
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 14 October 2009 8:04:03 AM
Grim LOL :D

I just heard this little gem a few minutes ago on the (Victorian) radio - John Faine 774 interviewing Peter Batchelor, State Minister for Energy. When asked why, instead of spending money propping up the brown coal industry, not invest in the infrastructure on clean renewable energy?

Peter replied. ".... they were exploring a portfolio response..."

WTF?
Posted by Fractelle, Wednesday, 14 October 2009 8:07:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy