The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Evolution where to now

Evolution where to now

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
Darwinian (biological) evolution is just one part of the evolution of our universe since the Big Bang. George Coyne mentally shrunk the 13.7 billion years to one year and came out with this time-table (http://www.thetablet.co.uk/article/614):

1 January: The Big Bang;
7 February: The Milky Way is born;
14 August: The Earth is born;
4 September; First life on the Earth;
15 December: The Cambrian explosion;
25 December: The dinosaurs appear;
30 December: Extinction of the dinosaurs;
31 December:
--19.00.00: First human ancestors
--23.58.00: First humans
--23.59.30: Age of Agriculture
--23.59.47: The pyramids
--23.59.58: Jesus Christ is born
--23.59.59: Galileo is born
--24.00.00: Today

In this scale the Earth’s atmosphere will be gone in 29 days, and in 93 days also the seas will dry out because the sun will be 40% hotter. However, again in this scale, intelligent humans have been around only for a few seconds, so there is still a lot of time left for them to figure out how to escape their annihilation, provided they do not annihilate themselves in the coming “few seconds”, before they have time to evolve - more through “culture” than “nurture” (based on purely biological natural selection) - from homo sapiens to homo adultus.
Posted by George, Wednesday, 7 October 2009 12:32:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
suzeonline,
Where have I ever said I believe in a literal six day creation? If you read my post carefully you will conclude the opposite. The Earth itself gave birth to a covering of vegetation. The text says God permitted it. "Let the Earth bring forth grass, herb yeilding seed and trees yeilding fruit after its species etc" indicating the imitus of new plants etc evolved out of the womb of the Earth. The conditions were conducive for things to evolve spontaneously
Posted by Philo, Wednesday, 7 October 2009 3:54:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
After giving it some thought, I’ll admit that my definition of evolution was far too narrow and because of that, I was being unhelpful to the discussion.

Unfortunately I reacted to a term that Creationists think is a gift handed to them on a plate – “thermodynamics” - as Sancho touched on.

My apologies for being so difficult, Examinator.

George,

That’s correct.

The analogy I’ve heard, is that if you hold your arm out, and the middle of your chest was the initial “bang” (or the start of the expansion of space time), then the formation of Earth would be just before your hand; the start of life on Earth would be around the middle of your palm; the extinction of the dinosaurs would be around a centimetre from the tip of your middle finger and every bit of Human history that we know of - even more that what Creationists are willing to acknowledge - would disappear with the single stroke of a nail file.

Little did the humans living on October 23rd 4004 BC know there’d be people 6012 years later who would think that the universe, and all that there was in it, started on that very day.
Posted by AJ Philips, Thursday, 8 October 2009 12:49:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy