The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > From work choices - to worse choices- it's a bit of a joke!

From work choices - to worse choices- it's a bit of a joke!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Grim; I agree fully with what you have said, however, as there is no 'binding contract' as you put it, between the employer and the employee, the employee is free to leave when they choose. I have no problems with this. They simply give the approriate notice.

How though does this explain how it's fair?

Is it fair just becasue it suits the employee?

In any case, employers have turned to 'casual labor' as at least there is some relief here. However, it offers little comfort to those staff wanting to borrow for say a house.

My point that you still have not cleared up is why is it deffernt for the employer?

Why do we have to jump through hoops?

But this is not a thread about UFD, rather about the failure of yet another policy/promise from this inexperienced lot of fools.

And to think that they are supposedly the best we had to choose from is quite frightening! and remember, every bluder is yet another few million that has to be funded by the tax payer.

Now that's fine if you're one of the ones who don't pay posative taxes, but from my point of view it simply stinks!

I create several jobs, collect thousands each year in taxes for the governments, pay taxes myself then watch these incompitent fools piss it away like this.

Give them another three or four terms as belly says and I doubt there will be enough workers left to pay the bills. Then what?

I think we may well see an early election, becasue the longer Krudd and his crusaders have, the more damage they will do to their own credibility.

I say again, they are a joke!
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 6 September 2009 11:47:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You are so out of touch with reality rechtub you do not understand an early election or late, your side can not win.
Rudd will increase his majority.
Or you seem blind to the result of strong pressure from bosses unions to keep some on very low incomes.
In fact some face loss that is massive casuals in of shore drilling ext.
I gain huge happiness in the simple fact you have no idea of the dreadful but unavoidable hole your side is digging in to.
Do you truly not know?
Not understand?
If the next election was a raffle and your mob bought every ticket, they would not win.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 6 September 2009 4:19:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In fact some face loss that is massive casuals in of shore drilling ext.

Yes belly, you are quite right, MASSIVE LOSSES!

BUT! once again you have not told the full story.

In most industries, casuals get paid 'a loading'. Now this is to make up for the loss of sick days, holidays, including leave loading and so on. In fact, they are financially 'better off' than if the were full time as they get paid for 'all sick days' whether they take them or not.

Usually, this casual loading is calculated at around 20% of the 'full time ordinary rate' of pay. And it's fair.

Now the off shore riggers are on a,,, wait for it,,,, 225% loading. That's 225%, or more than 10 times the normal loading!

What makes them so special and any more deserving than regular casual workers belly?

Do you really think they deserve this 'over the top' pay rate considering the normal rate of pay compensates for the work they do?

Typical one eyed union thug!

As for politics, I just hope there is something to save once your lot have run their race and, just remember where they started from and who gave them that start. Although, obviously it still wasn't enough!
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 6 September 2009 5:23:26 PM
rehctub,
Perhaps the offshore drillers get a higher casual loading than most because unlike most casual workers, they are away from their families for six months at a time living on a rig isolated from all the modern conveniences we take for granted. There are also considerably more safety risks on a rig and longer shifts.

The oil companies don't seem to be losing much in profit because of these high wages. If you are so into free market forces for prices why not for labour?

Wood for the trees.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 6 September 2009 8:27:19 PM
The day rechtub I hide anything from you in debate I will stop posting in OLO.
I am confident I can play verbal tennis with you on most subjects.
Casual loading is given for just the reasons you said, and I know of no casual award or agreement that has not got the loading.
You have told us you treat your workers well, are your casuals getting the loading?
Yes construction workers get what was once site allowances now productivity.
Casuals at sea get loadings on top of better money, because the job takes them away from homes, living away from family's for months and years.
Do you understand casuals can not live normal lives? never buy a home if credit is called for.
The job can go over night no holiday pay just super and a thing banked every week, called assert in construction.
rechtub bosses know workers values they understand such jobs need skills and pay for them.
You will not understand but this impacts on them, most casuals in of shore work will not return to sea under these new wages.
Are you happy to see such jobs taken by over seas workers?
It is you bloke who fails to understand, who armed with half the story and half an idea what it is all about Mount the horse back wards, so very often, and wonder what happened to the head.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 7 September 2009 3:55:45 AM
Rehctub in reply to belly and Pelican, and any other knockers of Workchoices

Was the 225% loading negotiated as part of 'work choices'?

If not, why didn't the oil bosses use WC do reduce their pay. You continue to say that bosses were unfair under WC and used WC to reduce wages and conditions.

What happened here?

I suspect you will not answer this. Prob not even return to the thread.

rehctub,
Perhaps the offshore drillers get a higher casual loading than most

We're talking 225%. Do you think this is fair?

Belly
You have told us you treat your workers well, are your casuals getting the loading?
Yes!

Casuals at sea get loadings on top of better money, because the job takes them away from homes, living away from family's for months and years.

Permernat worker 'at sea' would also be on high money, am I correct?

If so, why is 20% on top of a huge rate to start with not fair?

In fact, they are being offered 125% on top.

Why 225% instead?

Do you understand casuals can not live normal lives? never buy a home if credit is called for.

Crystal clear! Blame the unions, labor governments and UFD!

Remember, our country boomed once the UFD laws were watered down around 2000 and nobody can deny that!

As soon as labor mentioned UFD again, WE STOPPED!

Are you happy to see such jobs taken by over seas workers?

Well, if the workers only motivation for the jobs was 225% loading, on top of an already huge wage, then yes. They and you live in a fantisy world if you think this is the norm. As I say, typical union thug. Out trying to protect unrealistic wages again.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 7 September 2009 5:49:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy