The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Blue collar opinions don't count?

Blue collar opinions don't count?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
Hey there everyone,

Just a question. I don't work in an "office". Didn't go to uni. Does this mean that certain topics such as politics, international affairs, books are untouchable to me? I've found a brief silence occurs when these topics are brought up, followed by a feeling of hesitation to include me in the conversation. I've taken this as:
1. They assume the topic will soar over my head
or
2. They don't want me to embarass myself incase I mistake the topic as a review on the latest Home and Away episode (I actually like Home and Away).

It could well be that the circle I run in may just not like me. If this is the case, I'll choose another circle. But maybe it's the job I have or lack of education? Just wanted to see what others thought.
Posted by PAL01, Saturday, 23 May 2009 10:08:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pal01. It is never too late to educate yourself.No topic is too difficult that relates to your experiences.Think for yourself but have an open mind on what others say.

The more ignorant is our society,then the less freedoms and properity will we all enjoy.Now is a time like never before in living memory for all concerned citizens to become aware and have their say.

This site is not about intellectual snobbery.Snobbery is for the ignorant and insecure.
Posted by Arjay, Saturday, 23 May 2009 10:45:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
palo1 mate its not that they can think at all[they are preaching to the converted[..the points you raise are making them think..[they dont want to think..[they want to pat each other on the back and say yes..we know it all]..they are reinforcing each others ignorance

see that university is about creating yes men[its nothing to do with origonal thinking[or learning,..but simply teaching the group think, to fixate on past glories and set up peers..[that create sphere of same thought..group think

your problem isnt lack of education but too muych free thinking..[those living in the no thought zone are frightend of thinkers]..especially thoughts that come from those they regard as their infiriours

its not a thing you can change[and will find it is the same at all levels]any group...develops group think, and l;oners are too unique in their thinking that they even get rejectyed by their own...

for me its a choice between thinking as i chose or join the group and stop thinking..[so i just blog as i feel],and accept others blogging as they feel..thats as close as i can get to group thinking..[and we mainly have a group here..that when it clumps into group think is easilly revealed by..non opposing vieuws..being readilly apparent

anyhow...wiser than me will give you better reply
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 23 May 2009 11:15:46 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hiya Pal,

“1. They assume the topic will soar over my head”

With me it often does but this rarely stops me. I ask a lot of questions.

“2. They don't want me to embarrass myself in case I mistake the topic as a review on the latest Home and Away episode (I actually like Home and Away).”

Too much credit given there I suspect. I have never watched Home and Away, thought it might make me dumber.

“It could well be that the circle I run in may just not like me. If this is the case, I'll choose another circle. But maybe it's the job I have or lack of education? Just wanted to see what others thought.”

My thoughts: Your opinion is important, in fact it is necessary. The variety of thought is essential for everyone to learn.

I think OUG’s post said it all. I read it out loud, it helps and then you spot the humor better.
Posted by Jewely, Saturday, 23 May 2009 11:49:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just wade in boots and all - don't worry about what others might think. They may surprise you and you may surprise them.

Education does not always mean common sense and education does not necessarily outweigh experience.

Blue collar workers offer a perspective that some in their ivory towers will never understand.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 23 May 2009 12:32:47 PM
Just say what you think. I've known some incredibly dense university graduates and some incredibly intelligent tradies. While I wouldn't agree with OuG's suggestion that universities create 'yes men' (if you have been around a university at student election times, or during the whole 'Blockade CHOGM' campaign, you'd see that no two uni students think alike), they do not necessarily open doors to all types of thinking, either. Some of my best philosophical or political discussions have been held with a housemate who didn't quite finish Year 9 at school. She's certainly not dumb - it's just that her education comes from life experience.

I'm always amused when I hear people saying that 'Bono should shut up about poverty - what does he know?' or that celebrities can only be figureheads, rather than driving forces behind campaigns. It is the same thing - just because they have chosen to take a different path in life (singing, cricket, carpentry, whatever) doesn't mean that they are incapable of grasping complex issues and even, heaven forbid, offering rational and realistic solutions.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 23 May 2009 2:05:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy